Bridgestone BT020

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
New rear tire Saturday.
Man! Was that a work out. Both off and on!
One thing I don't like about my No-Mar. You have to fuss with the wheel chocks a bit to clamp the wheel tight enough. I might do something different with clamping the wheel into it.
The No-Mar tire irons are a bit too thick for that stiff a tire I think.
I dinged up the wheel a bit. :(

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If you use a strap, you just have to get the wheel snug, the strap holds it in place.

Also, lubing up the no mar bar double-end helps it get past that last little section... boy, that just sounds wrong no matter how you say it.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
So, do you guys have super special equipment in the garage to do all of these things? And how do address balancing the new tire?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
So, do you guys have super special equipment in the garage to do all of these things? And how do address balancing the new tire?
There are several balancers out on the market, no mar, harbor frieight, Mark Panes (sp?).

Some even use the dyna beads which I'm planning on trying on my truck this week.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
New rear tire Saturday.
Man! Was that a work out. Both off and on!One thing I don't like about my No-Mar. You have to fuss with the wheel chocks a bit to clamp the wheel tight enough. I might do something different with clamping the wheel into it.snip...:(
If you think the ST rear is hard, try a GW rear tire! :)
+1 On Mellow's comments... Lube in the right places (my first couple I use to little and it was harder), Strap the rim if needed to stop spin ( No-mar makes screw clamps for the GW rim as an option)
AND, keep the tire edges in the rim hollow opposite where your working. I put my knee on the tire to keep it in the hollow...if it comes out of there it is twice as hard to get the last 6" of tire on.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
There are several balancers out on the market, no mar, harbor frieight, Mark Panes (sp?).

Some even use the dyna beads which I'm planning on trying on my truck this week.
Yup, just watched the No Mar videos. Looks great, but I am on a quest to slim down my garage. Wish I had my old 16 X 16 work shed up in VA. I wish I had nice country roads like up in VA. Hey look, it's raining again. Love FL, yet I digress. No Mar videos make it look too easy.

OP
OP
DaveST
Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
If you think the ST rear is hard, try a GW rear tire! :)
+1 On Mellow's comments... Lube in the right places (my first couple I use to little and it was harder), Strap the rim if needed to stop spin ( No-mar makes screw clamps for the GW rim as an option)
AND, keep the tire edges in the rim hollow opposite where your working. I put my knee on the tire to keep it in the hollow...if it comes out of there it is twice as hard to get the last 6" of tire on.
Sorry to sound stupid. :confused:
What are you straping the rim to, to keep it from spinning? That sounds like where I went wrong to start with. I was thinking of making something similar to the No-Mar rim clamp for one of the clamp points. I don't have to make a strap!
Keeping the tire edges down in the rim hollow was not easy.
I tried to make some blocks of wood to do that. Blocks kept falling out. Somebody said they use C-clamps but C-clamps I have on hand were not large enough to clamp the tire enough to hold it into the hollow.
I never thought to lube up my bar either. That sound right Mellow? :eek::
I have the No-Mar balancer but the back wheel is pretty true. Didn't need but one weight.
Maybe I've learned something!

Last edited:

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
>What are you straping the rim to, to keep it from spinning?<
First, break the tire bead on one side, flip tire and break other bead ... now set the cam tire clamps (its easier to lock down rim if the tire isn't in the way).
I put a nylon tie down strap thru the rim down to one of the support bars... snug down. If the tire rotates in the cam clamps it can only go a inch or two and stop due to strap.
BTW, it helps to lube the rim hollow (like video shows) so the tire edge can move down into it and not bind.

OP
OP
DaveST
Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
>What are you straping the rim to, to keep it from spinning?<
First, break the tire bead on one side, flip tire and break other bead ... now set the cam tire clamps (its easier to lock down rim if the tire isn't in the way).
I put a nylon tie down strap thru the rim down to one of the support bars... snug down. If the tire rotates in the cam clamps it can only go a inch or two and stop due to strap.
BTW, it helps to lube the rim hollow (like video shows) so the tire edge can move down into it and not bind.
OK. Thanks Tom.
That's about what I was envisioning. I'll try that next time.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
What ever happened to the idea of using zip ties to hold the beads together while trying to pry off the bead on the opposite side, or when trying to slip the bead on?

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
I would think it would take longer to do the zip ties...
But a while back, I saw an article on someone using Home depot straps (8 of them) to compress the tire (beads together) before mounting with tire irons only.

OP
OP
DaveST
Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I would think it would take longer to do the zip ties...
But a while back, I saw an article on someone using Home depot straps (8 of them) to compress the tire (beads together) before mounting with tire irons only.
The rear tire is pretty darn stiff rubber. I'm not sure cable ties would work? I think you could do it with ratchet straps. That might work! The C-clamp idea didn't work for me very well. Blocks of wood like in the No-Mar Video didn't work very well for me either. Maybe I should have clamped the wood blocks?
This is cool. I have some things to try next time.

Top Bottom