Cabot Trail, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia

My son and I did it last year when he finished his basic infantry training in Gagetown we went counterclockwise it's a beautiful ride

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Jim! Hows it going? Love the video. Last rode the Trail in 2012 with 5 buddies. Beautiful day in August and surprisingly little traffic. I just retired so hoping to get lots of saddle time!

Cheers!

Great to here about all the info. If there is any great suggestions, I feel that I need to be the tour guide for this trip since I'm a Canadian, but have no clue what's In stored for use. I guess the biggest thing is the lounging. We are thinking to fly on the seat of pants and book day by day as we go. This is great with no schedule to tie us down but is it the wises thing to do. Any input would be great to help us out.

The only room I booked was the 1st night in Port aux Basques because the ferry connection I chose got in late - midnight or so IIRC. I should have also booked in St John's but planning that far ahead for me is tough. I had trouble finding a room there and I'm told its often like that. I ended up staying downtown at this place. Its a little dodgy but real close to downtown, (where you want to be), and cheap enough.

I spent 2 nights in St John's. There's a good night life and little trips like sunrise at Cape Spear that you can't miss.

All other rooms I booked on the fly and didn't have too much trouble finding a room, although I quit early most days because I was half frozen and soggy.

Of course you have to book your ferries well in advance - everything else hinges on those dates - so that's the 1st move.

Last edited:
Hey Jim! Hows it going? Love the video. Last rode the Trail in 2012 with 5 buddies. Beautiful day in August and surprisingly little traffic. I just retired so hoping to get lots of saddle time!

Cheers!

Hi Clipper,
I've got two more summers til retirement... always need more saddle time. The Trail can be a pain if there are gaggles of bikes and RV's. I was lucky this past trip. It was a spur of the moment kinda thing as I had extra time coming home from visiting family in NS and NB. If you hit the west coast, let me know.
Jim

Thanks Jeff for the tips. We're taking the long ferry the way there. I'm not to sure about staying 2 nights in St,. Johns.... look how I'm riding with the girls will be all over him and that won't make me feel good, I don't like to be the wing man if you know what I mean. I her that George street is pretty cool spot. Ron might have to pack an extra pack of cond---. I think we're booking the ferry's in April when I'm down his way for the RTE I think that should be lots of time in advance.

Keep it coming the tips are great
Thanks
Lyle

BoSTon: You need more time than you think. If you are taking the ferry to Yarmouth, there are lots of good seaside riding along the South Shore to Halifax. The Cabot Trail is a good ride. Newfoundland... west coast... Port-aux-Port Peninsula is great if no fog. Gros Morne national Park all the way up the Lanse-aux-Meadows and the Viking settlement near St.Anthony is one of my favourite runs. Feel free to send me a message as you get closer to figuring out where you want to go. I'm on the west coast of Newfoundland about halfway between the Port-aux-Basque ferry terminal and Gros Morne.

Thanks, Jim! Right now we're penciled in for 8/28 to 9/11.

Edit: WOW... $700 round-trip just for the 2 ferry rides. I can take a cruise for that.

Last edited:
Just finishing our journey around the Cabot Trail. My son has a good chuckle while I struggle to take my first selfie !! Cat'

th_WP_20150913_005.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks, Jim! Right now we're penciled in for 8/28 to 9/11.

Edit: WOW... $700 round-trip just for the 2 ferry rides. I can take a cruise for that.

You are looking at the Argentia run? It's half the price if you go to Port-aux-Basque. They don't tell you that it is another 2+ hours from Argentia to St. John's. So, 16 hours on the ferry + 2 = 18 hours. North Sydney to Port-aux-Basques is 7 hrs. + 10 hours ride to St. John's.... meals less costly, got to add in gas... but still a saving. It really depends on what you want to do with the trip. Camping or all motel/hotels? Shopping important or scenery? I do think everyone should try to get through all the bars in St. John's once in their life and plan on cabs home. I'm 3 hours away from the ferry (Port-aux-Basque) and rarely book a room... but, if I was traveling here from away, I would recommend booking a night ferry to Port-aux-Basques with a 4 berth cabin... you can possibly sell a couple of those berths to people in the bike line up. You are only going to get 5 hours sleep. Getting off the ferry, take the time to go down to the stone lighthouse in Rose Blanch... wicked road. Great lighthouse. By the time you get back to the TransCanada the traffic will have gotten spread out. If camping... stop at Barachoise Brook Provincial Park near Stephenville. Next day do the Port-aux-Port Peninsula and head to Gros Morne. Then up to St. Anthony and Lanse-aux-Meadows.
Then, maybe head for St. John's lol.

Back
Top Bottom