Carb Jetting for aftermarket exhaust

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I bought some really nice 2 brothers exhaust on EBay. Before I install them how do you determine if you really need to have the carbs re jetted? Are there specific signs that would indicate the need? Is there a online guide to jetting for the brand / type of exhaust used?

Any feedback would be helpful.

Dave

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
They aren't near as loud as some of the other cruisers running straight pipes by any degree.

However, compared to a stock ST they are louder. I've yet to hear a set of pipes on an ST I would consider obnoxious.

I had some 2 Bros on my '03 ST1300 and really liked them, but they are a bit loud for trying to navigate a campground at night... so I went back to the stockers.

The STaintunes are great.. I've heard them with and without the baffles and they are great sounding and a notch under the 2 Bros as far as volume.

STOC #
I did the rejet. The bike only ran a little faster but my mileage went from 40+mpg to 32 mpg. If you talk to the Two Brothers folks they say you do not need to rejet the bikie with their pipes (on the ST11).

Oh yeah, the pipes sound nice on the bike but you will hear a poping noise on the hard deceleration.

Cheers,
Adam

OP
OP
TexasDave
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
STingray- Let me guess, you are extremely proud of your $tayintune$? :D I guessed it on your first reply to my question, AND I have no doubt you ride the fastest color too.. :bow1::D:). Anyway thanks for your suggestions. I'll find a shop in FTW to rejet and see what happens.

I may not have the fastest color, but its fast enough.:yes:

I am running the original staintunes. I probably have the opposite problem, as on the dyno mine runs rich in the jet needle/needle jet area. Cruising performance is fine and power or fuel economy do not seem to suffer. The original dyno run was with the standard pipes, and I have not had another one done. I am tossing up whether to spend the money to replace seemingly worn needle jets/needles, doing a dyno run to see if the problem is less, or just doing nothing. Nothing is cheap and easy at the moment :)

OP
OP
TexasDave
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Well Ray- You were right :eek:: I installed the TBR's last night and the are louder than I expected but not so much that I wont leave them on for a while to decide if they are what I want. I'll try repacking before I pull them and reinstall the stock ones. They are loud on hard acceleration but seem fine at cruising. There isn't a surge at cruising speed so I will check milage and decise later if a rejet is in order. Any other traits I should look for to determine if a rejet is needed? Any way thanks again for the advise. I'm off to the Bike show in Dallas,

Dave

Dave, the factorypro website (under technical assistance/CV car tunign procedures) has some useful tuning procedures to check for any problems for CV carbs.

Ray, as far as I know the needles and jets are factory Honda, with no adjustment grooves. As it still goes quite ok I may just leave it, particularly given the rapid fall the the Australian dollar lately. I should have ordered and paid for new bits a few weeks ago :)

Top Bottom