CB Antenna Choice Preference?

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
I'd like to know what your antenna preferences are and why if you don't mind. I've just replaced my J&M CB with a new one and learned afterwards that it was an antenna problem and not the radio. My antenna coax is one of those with the ring where 1 side is the center pole and the other side is the shield/ground. Either by tightening the through-bolt, wrong assembly, or natural failure - the coax has an intermitent continuity break at the ring. I'd tested it last week before ordering a new J&M unit and it had continuity, but when I intalled the new unit yesterday and checked the SWR it was way off. I checked again and the ring's center pole is open. This will be my 2nd coax and I am likely to blame for it's failure, but I don't accept said blame for the failures I've had with the 2' fiberglass antennas I've had to replace due to broken wires inside the mast themselves.

A 2nd question would be whether the suggested antennas will work with the same ring set-up as the J&M units or do I have to replace the coax and mounting systems too?

Inputs appreciated! Thanks, Gordon

I use the firestik 2" no ground plane antenna's and associated coax and have been satisfied with that, easy installation and last I checked my swr I was in a okay setting, 1.5 I think. That's about all I can add sorry.

I use the firestik 2" no ground plane antenna's and associated coax and have been satisfied with that, easy installation and last I checked my swr I was in a okay setting, 1.5 I think. That's about all I can add sorry.

The makers of the Firestik and Firefly are probably the best antenna source for the STs. You definitely will be better off with a no ground plane antenna using a CB on an ST.

Thanks Guys, 3 for 3 on the Firestik is more than just coincidence. I'm going to go out today and look for one of these in 2' length. Can you tell me where you found that fold-down adapter? I looked on the Firestik site and did not see one. I'd like to have one of those when installing the rain cover during trips.

Again, Thanks for the inputs - Gordon

I used to drive an 18 wheeler many years ago and got advice from several CB shops and tech's. All of them had to say the same thing about antenna's "stay with stainless" if you want good range and reception. There are several good stainless 30-36" antenna's out there that good adjustable SWR capabilities. Try googling Sears stainless CB antenna's, Wilson to name a few.
Another thing is to have a good CB tech bench check your radio for good solder joints etc and have him adjust the "swing" which will make a huge difference in how your radio performs---I do this even with a new radio before I install it. With a good quality antenna and radio installed correctly your system should recieve and transmitt 10 miles with no problem.

Last edited:
yep I use the 3' and the 203EZ uncle phil mentioned . my antenna is mounted to a turbo tom rack but some people use the the license plate mounting bracket .

I used a 4 foot firefly I believe. It has the tuneable tip with your fingers to adjust. Swr is below 1.5. RodeRiderG helped me greatly with my install and running of the wires. I ride with a lot of HD Ultras and Wings and they all hear me loud and clear even if not line of site.

Back
Top Bottom