"CHAIN" universal motorcycle communication app by Ruroc

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
A couple weeks back I came upon an article on VisorDown about a new VoIP app that lets you use your cellphone service to connect any rider with the app regardless of brand of headset -- Sena, Cardo, etc...
As best I can determine, as long as your phone can connect to your own headset you can use this to connect to other riders also using the app... anywhere in the world where both riders have cell data coverage!

Does anyone have any experience with it? I would've posted about this earlier, but at the time of the VisorDown article only the iOS (Apple) version had been released. However I just found that the Android version is available now too.

The app download is free. It requires an account on the Ruroc site to use, but other than that there's no mention of any fees. Perhaps it's Ruroc's way of making a dent in the communication market with their hardware (they sell Bluetooth comm hardware specifically for their helmets) without having to connect to the Sena and Cardo units directly?

I'll coerce my son into testing it out with me soon. My first opportunity for a larger demonstration would be at NEW-STOC in June.

Let's hear what you all think.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Ruh-roh. I don't actually know if there's any cause for alarm. Does this require you to set up an account with the vendor? I just tend to be leery of this practice unless the vendor is well know. I generally prefer someone else to be the canary in that kind of mineshaft.

TMF

Bike
1992 Honda ST1100
Thanks STRider for the heads up on Chain. I'm in IT and use my 6th sense before installing apps. My antenna remain down and I look forward greatly to trying it. Hopefully there'll be no more sitting around at rest stops, motels, etc. trying to get headsets to link.

PS The app is installed on my Android phone and looks well done and simple to use. The Ruroc company website is impressive. No worries.

Last edited:
OP
OP
STRider

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I appreciate the caution everyone is expressing about this app. Malware can hide itself in almost anything, but I'm more inclined to trust a source with a real business attached to it like Ruroc (though honestly, as a UK based company, I hadn't heard of them before this). They appear to be a style-forward, lifestyle gear company looking to compete with the likes of icon, and others with cross over into other sports like snowboarding, casual apparel, etc...

Zero risk? I would never assume that, but I'm willing to be the guinea pig for the team. :)

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
I could see this being useful with a support vehicle too. They could join in on the group chat without needing any communication hardware, just a phone and, possibly, a Bluetooth connection to the vehicle radio.

The only thing, or perhaps one of the only things, I'm curious about is will it interfere with listening to music from your phone?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I could see this being useful with a support vehicle too. They could join in on the group chat without needing any communication hardware, just a phone and, possibly, a Bluetooth connection to the vehicle radio.

The only thing, or perhaps one of the only things, I'm curious about is will it interfere with listening to music from your phone?
Support Vehicle...... whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Top Bottom