Cheap Ebay Brake pad set ?

Bike
2006 ST1300
I bought a set of the Kevlar organic pads off ebay. For the price they work well, with the exception that they are lacking wet weather performance. I would recommend them in the dry southwest if you didn't do trips into rain country, but I'll be switching back to OEM for my next set. They served their purpose- I needed pads and had little money, and they did work O.K. I'm creating a list of maintenance to do over the winter, and OEM pads are on it.

Here is a little info for those who don't know. This applies to bikes AND cages. There are several grades of pads available, with the main difference being how "hard" the pad material is. Harder pads last much longer, but wear the rotor more and usually have decreased braking performance. Very soft pads will wear rotors very little and sometimes have good braking performance, but wear quickly. OEM pads are a balance of wear and brake performance. Try to avoid any pad with claims of "lifetime warranty" or "long lasting"...they are usually VERY hard pads. Remember, pads are usually much cheaper to replace than rotors.

Another thing to watch out for...steer clear of "racing" pads. Pads designed for racing are usually designed to work with high heat, usually a high performance ceramic material. They offer great braking on the track, but don't work well on the street- they have very poor braking until they get warmed up with some hard braking. They also usually wear the rotors pretty quickly...not a problem in a race situation where parts get inspected each race, and get replaced often.

Jim

STOC #
I had a set of eBay cheapies on my ST1100A. The stopping performance was noticeably reduced. Took 'em off and replaced with Honda OEM. All better again.

Bike
2006 ST1300
ST1300 comes with sintered, you have to stay with sintered or there will be less stopping power. I'm happy for $45 delivered for 6 pads I'm good.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Has anyone tried any of the cheap under $50 brake sets , some say kevlar ,some sintered or carbon ? A full set for the price of a pair of pads even if they don't last as long they might be a cheap option to add to the regular change out items , they could be changed at tire changes or at 8-10 k at oil change time ?
I purchased a set of EBC FA261 brake pads for my 2007 ST. These are made in the USA. After 16000 miles they still work great and the brake rotors are very smooth. They seem to be wearing better than the OEM set I replaced at 30,000 miles. I live in BC, Canada and paid $40 per set for a total of $120. As everything seems to be more expensive in Canada I'm sure you could get a better price from a US supplier.

Top Bottom