clutch and timing belt replacement

Guys and gals.
I have almost 90k on my st1100 so I'm thinking of replacing both the clutch and timing belt at the same time to save money... I just called one shop for pricing and I am still to shocked to tell you what they want to do both... Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated... I thought there would be a labor savings by doing them both at the same time but maybe not...
Thanks Dave

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Is your clutch slipping? 90k miles would be premature failure.

Thane Silliker did both on his 1100 this last winter. He did a really good job writing it up, Mike Martin has tons of information. You can do this yourself, or hire a 'non factory' guy.

OP
OP
Tom,
I can get it to slip if I really try... usually need a passenger...but have only slipped it a couple of times. Also, when cold sometimes and I first take off from my work parking lot it will growel at me... kinda jerk... and then it will be fine for a couple of weeks. Also, (don't know if it is the same) but on my Honda car a few years ago.... I could tell the clutch was going and then one day I couldn't move the car at all.... I mean at all no matter what ... with this clutch being hydrolic also will I run into the same situation???

Bike
'93 ST1100
.......... Also, when cold sometimes and I first take off from my work parking lot it will growel at me... kinda jerk... and then it will be fine for a couple of weeks. ???
That is common and has nothing to do with wear or replacement to cure.
Mine has done that occasionally, even when it only had 14,000 miles on it.
Now with 30,000 miles, and clutch is still fine of course, except for that very rare growl when cold.

EDIT: Cold is a relative term. Here the riding temp never falls below 70, so cold means shortly after starting bike up, not outside temp.

Last edited:
Replacing the timing belt seems more challenging than it is. Lots of write ups and pictures in this forum.
Replacing the clutch while you have the Tupperware off seems like a "Good Idea". But . . . . don't forget the exhaust gasket, 30mm socket and clutch tool (can be made from plywood).
Or. put it off for another day.

Bike
91 ST1100 Black
STOC #
Dave - I don't really know about the clutch job, but I'm trying to think what the advantage to doing them both at the same time would be... it would be easier getting the timing cover off, but the work around for that is well documented.

I always thought clutch slippage could be oil related as well... does it vary at all in relation to the age or type of oil ?

Good luck in any event ! BTW how much did they want to do both jobs ?

OP
OP
Chris, they quoted $1,300 to $1,500. I don't know what I am going to do.... I think change the clutch fluid first.... then ride it and hope the timining belt lasts another 10k for the summer.... Then I might try to change it myself... I would love it if I could help someone change theirs first...... My son is pretty good with fixing things and he said he would help.
Thanks Dave

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
I did the clutch and timing belt at the same time, and my clutch had similar symptoms. It wasn't really slipping, but it did every now and again. If I were you, I'd do the timing belt and if you really want to remedy the clutch, change only the 5 springs and leave the plates alone. The springs shorten and don't allow it to engage fully all the time. The plates are probably in perfect condition still.

Bike
None
STOC #
I did the clutch and timing belt at the same time, and my clutch had similar symptoms. It wasn't really slipping, but it did every now and again. If I were you, I'd do the timing belt and if you really want to remedy the clutch, change only the 5 springs and leave the plates alone. The springs shorten and don't allow it to engage fully all the time. The plates are probably in perfect condition still.
Unbelievable!:hat2:

Hey Upnorthdad! Concerning the clutch, juddspaintballs beat me to the punch! I've read plenty on this sight that says the springs remedy the problem so that's what I'd do too but only after flushing the hydralic system! My 1984 Nighthawk 700S suffered this too and the flush helped tremendously.

t-belt? Might see if someone up your way, or passing thru, has done their own t-belt. They might assist you with it! I've done several on cars (note to self: do not unscrew bolts that the manual says to leave alone! They fall into the depths of oblivion and are a pain to retrieve!) and it was really not all that hard. I personally think the hardest part is interpreting a manual or someone elses instructions...otherwise nothing to fear! I'd come up and do both @ the same time but budget and timing problems say the t-belt waits another year! Besides, I don't think my bike is due quite yet. Maybe the next RTE should be a Tech-SToc?

STraycatt

Go Ride!!
Bike
2013 Black CB500X
STOC #
I just ordered the parts for my radiator hoses and timing belt. I will be tackling this sometime soon if'n you want to swing by and see what's what...

-Adam

Bike
None
STOC #
Unbelievable!:hat2:

Would be interested to know when you tackle this! It would be valuable to see and or help! Thanks in advance!

Tom B.

Top Bottom