Clutch effort

It seems like too many years turning wrenches is taking its toll. Does
anyone know of a way to reduce the clutch lever effort on a ST1100 ? Perhaps a different master cylinder cylinder with more volume per stroke ? No quite sure how hydraulics work in that regard.
I'm already using an adjustable lever from a VFR. Doesn't help much. The old left hand gets to hurting after awhile.
I like the ST , but thinking of swapping to a Yamaha FJR with the automatic clutch feature. AE model I think. Just hate to lose the clutch control during low speed maneuvers .

Bike
'93 ST1100
In addition to my '93 ST1100 I have a '06 FJR 1300AE which I bought 3 years ago kind of in spite of the auto clutch because of its condition and low mileage. The e-clutch does take some getting used to and I don't feel as confident in slow speed/parking lot situations but I really have not had any serious issues. You have to let the bike warm up as the clutch engagement is erratic when it's cold and if you are in stop and go traffic you can't pull in the clutch and coast, you have to downshift and match gear to speed. On the other hand, highway or "Sunday" riding is nicer especially if you use the paddle shifter on the left grip.

I actually like both bikes, the ST feels more relaxed at speed and I'm more comfortable wrenching on it while the FJR has the acceleration, handling and comfort.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I assume your pivots are not worn and the mechanical parts of the clutch lever are up to snuff - clean and lubed? Maybe a dab of moly grease will do ya?:biggrin:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Does
anyone know of a way to reduce the clutch lever effort on a ST1100 ?
Have a look through the below thread.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Install an adjustable clutch lever to make the throw shorter. Lots of them for sale on ebay and Amazon. Install an electric shifter. Or get a bike with DCT. :)

Try adjusting your hand position. If you grab the clutch lever near the pivot, the force is much higher. So try adjusting the lever to be closer to the bars (use the adjuster or try a shorter pushrod). Then position your hand near the bar-end, far from the pivot. The force to pull the clutch will be much lower, and the closer clutch position will allow you to reach the lever comfortably.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Besides keeping all well maintained and replace worn down things like clutch levers and push-rods...

that thing rocks...
And according to an email exchange I had with one of their fellas, you will never need to rebuild it, ever... aviation grade precision and materials...

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I went with a combination of all 3 mentioned parts- VFR adj. lever, under sized VFR master cylinder and over sized Oberon slave cylinder. Worked out pretty good for me.

Top Bottom