Comms System Advice

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
I need to replace my cheapo Bluetooth helmet with an up-grade. Basically I listen to music, gps and occasionally answer a phone call. My helmet system is ok for voice (phone calls) but music is tinny and low volume. Plugfone Bluetooth ear buds have great sound quality (at pprox 80 MPH) but cannot controll volume or answer phone with AGTATT. I am currently considering. Cardo Packtalk Edge with JBL speakers. Need input on sound quality and ease of operation to Answer phone, control volume, connect to Zumo XT etc etc. If not the Packtalk Edge which system would you recommend?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've been using Sena headsets for a few years. Currently on the 30k. Recently a downpour caused one to fail but they are not advertised as waterproof and many have been in rain and not have problems, including myself for previous 20s headsets.

So, I tried the packtalk edge... It functioned similarly to the sena so one wasn't necessarily better than the other from that standpoint.

However, the Edge volume control was odd, sometimes I could control w/wheel and sometimes I had to say 'Cardo volume up/down'.. Also, battery life appeared to be in the 9-10 hr range vs 12-13 for the Sena.

One thing I did miss was the Sena 20s/30k/50s all use the same helmet mount however, the new 50s is supposed to be better at not letting rain in, which have a built in 3.5 mm aux out for wired ear buds. When something is plugged into that, the speakers are disabled, unplug and the speakers are active again. With the Cardo you have to manually connect one or the other with wires you stuff inside the helmet lining.

I use S-Plugs which are awesome at noise reduction and hearing your music. I have the headsets paired to the zumo XT and the phone paired to the zumo xt and that works well.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've got Sena 20S EVOs and Sena 30s and I have been really pleased with them.
I pipe my GPS, Radar detector and MP3 player into an Amplirider and then I plug my Senas directly into the Amplirider.
I didn't want to be fussing with BT as I moved from bike to bike and I don't mind being 'wired' to my ST1100s.
If you are not going to do a lot of group riding, I'd look for a 'used' 20 or 20 EVO on EBay.
I don't know about the Cardo product as I have never had one.
I can make my phone talk to the Sena easy enough, but I never have my cell phone on. ;)

Bike
2010 ST1300
A couple of things I considered. The Sena is not waterproof. This is kind of silly for a device that will be exposed to rain. I'm not going to argue with folks who said their Sena was in a downpour and suffered no water damage. My point is only that the mfr does not warranty it to be wp. Many in my riding group have Cardo - Bolds and Edges and a few change to the Edge every few months. Cardo won for me because of both reasons (the latter was more important, though).

Cardo's customer support is responsive and ok. The quality of their answers varies w/ the person. Ultimately, they have resolved every issue I tossed at them and have no real complaints. Just know you might have to ask the same question twice if you don't like the answer.

I have a Packtalk Edge, and despite having upgraded the software and firmware per Cardo's instructions, it does not behave well when linked to my iPhone8 and Garmin XT. Cardo's Tech support replied to me:
"Hi Peter,
Thank you for reaching out to Cardo Support.
We are not fully compatible with the Garmin GPS systems. You will only be able to use the GPS with your unit as a standalone. Once the GPS takes over the controls, Cardo features do not mix and are not full available. For more information on compatibility, please reach out to Garmin directly. Please let us know if we can assist you further.
Best Regards,
Cardo Support Team"

When I link the Edge to both devices, I can talk to my buddies on other bikes, and use the music from my iphone. However, once the XT tries to talk to me, most voice functions on the Edge go out the window. I can pull my phone out of my pocket and have Siri do a call or even dial it myself and hear it over the Edge's speakers, but neither "Hey Cardo, call..." or "Hey Siri...." will work. Other guys have (I think) managed to connect both, but I don't know (yet) how they did it. So far, this has not been a problem, I look at the GPS and follow its instructions, I don't need its voice directions.

The edge is still a great device, and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. When I don't couple my GPS, it works as advertised - voice commands to Hey Cardo and Siri work as expected. Should you buy one and hook it up to both your phone (apple) and XT, and get it to work, please post how you did that.

Good luck.

OP
OP

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
A couple of things I considered. The Sena is not waterproof. This is kind of silly for a device that will be exposed to rain. I'm not going to argue with folks who said their Sena was in a downpour and suffered no water damage. My point is only that the mfr does not warranty it to be wp. Many in my riding group have Cardo - Bolds and Edges and a few change to the Edge every few months. Cardo won for me because of both reasons (the latter was more important, though).

Cardo's customer support is responsive and ok. The quality of their answers varies w/ the person. Ultimately, they have resolved every issue I tossed at them and have no real complaints. Just know you might have to ask the same question twice if you don't like the answer.

I have a Packtalk Edge, and despite having upgraded the software and firmware per Cardo's instructions, it does not behave well when linked to my iPhone8 and Garmin XT. Cardo's Tech support replied to me:
"Hi Peter,
Thank you for reaching out to Cardo Support.
We are not fully compatible with the Garmin GPS systems. You will only be able to use the GPS with your unit as a standalone. Once the GPS takes over the controls, Cardo features do not mix and are not full available. For more information on compatibility, please reach out to Garmin directly. Please let us know if we can assist you further.
Best Regards,
Cardo Support Team"

When I link the Edge to both devices, I can talk to my buddies on other bikes, and use the music from my iphone. However, once the XT tries to talk to me, most voice functions on the Edge go out the window. I can pull my phone out of my pocket and have Siri do a call or even dial it myself and hear it over the Edge's speakers, but neither "Hey Cardo, call..." or "Hey Siri...." will work. Other guys have (I think) managed to connect both, but I don't know (yet) how they did it. So far, this has not been a problem, I look at the GPS and follow its instructions, I don't need its voice directions.

The edge is still a great device, and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. When I don't couple my GPS, it works as advertised - voice commands to Hey Cardo and Siri work as expected. Should you buy one and hook it up to both your phone (apple) and XT, and get it to work, please post how you did that.

Good luck.

Thanks @SMSW. The reply you received from the Cardo Support Team speaks VOLUMES to my non technical ears! I have seen some posts that suggest Android (Mine) phones connect better with Zumo/Packtalk setups. I want a simple connect phone to Zumo then Zumo to helmet system and ride into sunset listening to music and phone calls from phone and directions from XT. I dont want to deal with Goofel apps. Thanks for your quick and informative reply.

OP
OP

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
I've been using Sena headsets for a few years. Currently on the 30k. Recently a downpour caused one to fail but they are not advertised as waterproof and many have been in rain and not have problems, including myself for previous 20s headsets.

So, I tried the packtalk edge... It functioned similarly to the sena so one wasn't necessarily better than the other from that standpoint.

However, the Edge volume control was odd, sometimes I could control w/wheel and sometimes I had to say 'Cardo volume up/down'.. Also, battery life appeared to be in the 9-10 hr range vs 12-13 for the Sena.

One thing I did miss was the Sena 20s/30k/50s all use the same helmet mount however, the new 50s is supposed to be better at not letting rain in, which have a built in 3.5 mm aux out for wired ear buds. When something is plugged into that, the speakers are disabled, unplug and the speakers are active again. With the Cardo you have to manually connect one or the other with wires you stuff inside the helmet lining.

I use S-Plugs which are awesome at noise reduction and hearing your music. I have the headsets paired to the zumo XT and the phone paired to the zumo xt and that works well.

Thanks Joe. After @SMSW post I am starting to reconsider a Sena system. I especially like the Aux out plug feature for ear buds, Should be a great sound. Thanks for your input. Dan

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
We have the Packtalk Edge Duo, which I bought to replace our hard wired autocom unit.

So far it has proved to be an excellent replacement. Clear, good quality sound and phone calls come through clearly. I miss the side-tone - ie I cannot hear myself speak. This is because of the delay in transmission that you get with BT communication.

XT is put at the centre of things and is paired to the cardo as a second phone, not as a GPS - this is because on e the XT is paired to the phone, it looks and behaves like a phone to the headset, so Cardo's response to you isn't entirely accurate.

Yes some of the functionality of the cardo is lost this way, if you are wanting to issue voice commands to the phone for example but I find that these dont work anyway unless the phone is not allowed to go into standby.

I like the volume control on the helmet, and all of the verbal packtalk commands work.

I haven't yet used it bike to bike, but we use the mesh capability for rider to pillion - that seems to connect more reliably, first time every time.

I found the push button controls on the side of the head not the best of solutions, and have accidentally redialled the last number a couple of times. Thats down to practice, I suppose.

But basically, I just turn it on and leave it. The phone and the XT pair up correctly and incoming phone calls are answered automatically, with enough time delay provided by the info on the XT screen telling me who is calling and the option to ignore.

I found the instructions to be not very helpful - but as you might imagine, once Id worked out how to get it set up as I wanted, I documented it. I think I have already posted that.

Happy to test anything out if you want to know an answer to a particular question.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I forgot about something many Senas have that Cardo does not have as an option. The ambient mode function. Tap it twice and ambient noise is pulled in. So, you can more easily hear someone standing next to you and talking or if you're walking around w/helmet on. I've used that many times and it's a great feature.

1688033561088.png

Last edited:
OP
OP

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Last night I ordered the Sena 50S with the Harmon Cardan speakers. It was a trade off, I really want the plug for earbuds (known quality sound at any speed) and I also wanted the three button controls that came with the 50R. In the end the ear buds backup won the day! Thanks everyone for quick and informative replies. You have All saved me much mental turmoil with your experienced input. Dan

VetteJim

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I have the Sena 10S and the wife has a Sena which was included with her Bilt helmet. The system seems to work great. I get calls, and can play music and have intercom when she is riding (two up) with me. Happy with it so far. I installed the 10S into my Sedici helmet and it was easy and went in fine.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
On a side note. For those of you that have hearing aids with Bluetooth technology, consider pairing your hearing aids to the GPS. Don’t connect the GPS to your Cardo or Sena. This allows full function of the Cardo voice commands.
If your Cardo is paired to the phone, you still will have access to Siri for IPhone or google on an android. You can do phone calls etc. the downside is you will hear both audio sources at the same time…meaning, the turn by turn instructions will not override the media that will be playing over your Cardo or Sena like it would when connected to the GPS, It will be simultaneous.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
For those of you that have hearing aids with Bluetooth technology, consider pairing your hearing aids to the GPS.
When I got my hearing aids*, I asked and was specifically warned to not wear them when riding.

I wear a Neotec 1 helmet with a built-in Sena 10U system, in which I just replaced both batteries.

*Oticon More One BTE rechargeable aids with full Bluetooth compatibility, provided by the V.A.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
When I got my hearing aids*, I asked and was specifically warned to not wear them when riding.

I wear a Neotec 1 helmet with a built-in Sena 10U system, in which I just replaced both batteries.

*Oticon More One BTE rechargeable aids with full Bluetooth compatibility, provided by the V.A.
There was no concern expressed to me with regards to wearing hearing aids while riding. I brought my helmet in to make sure that I would get the right ones to fit comfortably, so they were well aware of my intentions. Mine automatically compensate for wind noise. I also have the option to mute them and then they work like earplugs. For the most part they function rather well when wearing my helmet, the only concern is when I remove my helmet I have to insure that the aids are still in my ears and haven’t fallen out. I have a technique for removing my helmet so that in the event the aids do fall out that they fall into the helmet so I can easily retrieve them.

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
I don't wear my hearing aids when I ride. I just hope to remember to pull them out before I insert the earplugs for riding. For some strange reason, my ears can't handle a hearing aid and an ear plug at the same time.... Meanwhile, my earplugs bluetooth to my phone for music if I have to have it.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
+1 for plugup. Except I went one further and got the custom ear plugs.
They may be a bit expensive, but they are awesome and better, IMHO, than InEarz's products as they are more comfortable and block more outside noise (although I do acknowledge that some wont like that feature).

OP
OP

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Final input: @Larry Fine Such good advice about speaker positioning, makes a world of difference. I must have a pointy head, placed speakers about a half inch below the factory placement on speakers. Have excellent music quality at 80 MPH with modular helmet fully open! The Sena 50S is a great system but the instructions are about WORTHLESS!:confused1: I have given up on connecting the charging cable to WIFI. There will be no auto update for me. Perhaps latter I will ask the forum how to set that up. but that is another day. Thanks @SMSW and Mellow your inputs redirected me to the SENA unit. :biggrin:

Top Bottom