Conti Road Attacks

Hiya,
Has anyone tried these Conti road attacks yet on the ST1300, Interested to know what mileage/Handling is like on them?,
Cheers.:)

I fitted a set to my ST1300 today. They feel very surefooted but are new and not been on a run yet. I will post a progress report soonest.
They look the canines cahooneys too.

STOC #
Jim:

I'm surprised you didn't fit up some of the Pilot Road 2CT tyres. We can't get them over on this side of the pond yet.

I do have the Attacks on my Buell XB12r, but that is not a fair compairision on the "wear" front. They do handle very good, at least in the dry so far.

Neil S.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I'm surprised you didn't fit up some of the Pilot Road 2CT tyres. We can't get them over on this side of the pond yet.
I just went with the orginal Pilot Roads since the 2's are not out yet and I need tires!

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I'm surprised you found a front... have been hearing "out of stock" on those since May. I went with the 021's... a dramatic improvement over the 020's, but not the cats :butt1: either. I put Storms on the Sprint, so far very good. I'm thinking the PR@'s maybe a good solution for both.

I heard from some that the Conti's are a bit slow to warm... twisties start at the end of the driveway so........... nope!
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26136

Dave at Motorace says he has about 70 sets of the pilot roads left.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Thanks... that's interesting because I heard "no more" back in May, as did some who posted to that thread. I have no complaints with the 021's, and the PR2's will be out and probably well tested before I'll need another set for the ST13... and the Sprint may get a set of Diablo's just for kicks after the Storms melt away... then try the PR2's on it too.
Yeah..I believe Dave was the first one to come to this site with them being available and offer them to some ST owners to try. I guess with them being a distributor maybe they just got what was left...Dunno. I was really happy with my first set and really wanted to try the PR2's, but cannot wait till they come out as I need new shoes now.

STOC #
I run a set on my XX and like them.

One thing to concider, buy the set designed for the BMW RT. They come in two versions - one designed for heavier bike as the RT. I was advised by the Continental rep to use the regular front and the "tougher" rear.

I only regret, I forgot to note the mileage when I put them on....:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Update on Continental Road Attack Tyres.

I recently put a set on Conti Road Attack Tyres on my ST1300 (Pan European). ’06 model.
Having sorted out my rear brake binding problem I gave the tyres the first proper run out yesterday in a 200 mile blast from home to South Wales and back.

Firstly a bit about me to get this report into context. I am NOT a qualified tyre tester. I have ridden motorbikes for 30 years for both work and pleasure.
I have always liked Continental tyres. They were the standard tyre on my BMW’s in the 70’s until I discovered Metzeler ME99’s (another German make) and I like the way that the Germans R&D the black stuff having visited the test track years ago. (now that’s a job I would like but that’s another story)
I have passed my Institute of Advanced Motorists (motorcycle and car) tests, I am a qualified motorcycle instructor, DOT approved tester, and approved DSA driving test examiner.

I am about to go on a bike tour of Europe (France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Switzerland, Italy) and the rear that was on the bike (Bridgestone 020) would not have lasted. I chose to change the front tyre at the same time. I had no problems with the Bridgestones whatsoever and liked them

I fitted a set of Continental Road Attack (CRA) courtesy of Cambrian Tyres (Conti Tyres UK) Aberystwyth. Good service and great price.

Initial feelings were that they were different. They were quieter. They felt smoother. In a straight line they were “Normal” but slow speed, steered turns needed what I thought was a little more effort to make the direction change. Not much more, but it was noticeable…or was it in my mind??

At speed (out of town) they needed a different approach. Let me explain. I have had a few “big” bikes. A BMW R100RT was the bike that taught me all I know about counter-steering. I use counter-steering for all my roadwork. I won’t go into the physics of how and why but I do. I know riders who sneer at the notion, but I am convinced that all riders do it even if unconsciously. I do it consciously.

With the CRA’s fitted it needed a bit more effort to initialise the steer in bends. This I understand is down to the compound and profile of the tyre. Nothing to worry about and I’m sure that I will even forget that there is a difference between the 020’s and the CRA in time. They feel very planted and stable. Conti recon that there is a greater contact area with this tyre on the road than with comparable tyres from other manufacturers. Maybe that’s why they need that bit more effort??

Grip was excellent even at extreme angles and tar bands and joint ripples didn’t cause any untoward concerns.
Grip in the wet was no different (yes it is still raining daily here in Wales). Motorway use was seriously quieter and smoother.

Oh yes, one other thing. I think they look great!!
So there you go…200 miles and I’m sold. I will report on wear and usage on the tour and give updates here on an as and when basis.

Thats interesting, as usually the first thing you notice about new tyres is how much quicker steering and turn in there is. It will be interesting to see how they go as they wear. As the Contis don't come in ST11 sizes probably not relevant to me at the moment, but you never know...

I have just gotten back from my Pan Euro trip 3,000 + miles and have nothing but praise for the Conti Road Attacks. IMHO they they are better than the Bridgestones in the wet.
More to follow soon............

Last edited:
OP
OP
panman40
I have just gotten back from my Pan Euro trip 3,000 + miles and have nothing but praise for the Conti Road Attacks. IMHO they they are better than the Bridgestones in the wet.
More to follow soon............
Nice one!,
How is the back wearing regarding squaring off ?
cheers,
Martin.

Im running the metzler on my st1300 great tire in wet and dry. I live in the mountains around deals gap in north carolina and ride everyday year round,(alot of wet roads) My only grip would be the milage is a bit down,but then again it is not unuasual to drag a foot peg so Iguess I probably push them a little harder than most. They are definatly a big step up from the original bridgestones. Im still looking for the ultimate tire, milage verses wet and dry traction. Keep up your inpute guys greatly appreciated.

DeSTy

King of the Bling
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I was given a set of Conti Road-Attacks to try by my local bike mechanic. He knows I ride my bike hard and fast and wanted my opinion on their performance against the Z6's, which I love.

Initially, the RA's felt good, tip in was fairly fast, feel was ok although a little soft. I played around with pressures a bit but didn't really notice much change until going way down and they just got sloppy like you'd expect.

Sadly, when I came to a piece of road that I've ridden many, many times, the RA's let me down. While cornering I noticed very distinct 'pushing' from the front and at much lower speeds than I usually ride the Z6's. My riding cohorts also commented on my lack of pace through this section without knowing that I had done anything different to the bike.

I left the RA's on for 1500kms (Nearly 1000miles) before I handed them back to the shop with my verdict.

They wear well.
They take a long time to heat up.
They don't readily shed when they're hot.
Evidence of shredding was visible after being pushed hard.
They're quiet, atleast for the 1500kms I had them.
They're slower than the Z6 to tip in... more bar force is required.

My opinion.

Tyre sizes tested:

Front: 120/70 18
Rear: 160/70 17

Just as a note for those interested, I'm having new tyres fitted tomorrow and will be putting a Z6 180/55 17 on the rear. This will slow the tip in slightly, but should give me a wider contact patch at lean without messing the tyre height and speedo up. I'll report back if anyones interested, as I'm leaving for two weeks on the bike early Tuesday morning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
panman40
Dont do it!,
By fitting a 180 in place of the 160 you will end up with the same or less contact patch :eek: ,
Unless you fit a 5.5 or 6 inch rim to go with it:)

DeSTy

King of the Bling
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Dont do it!,
By fitting a 180 in place of the 160 you will end up with the same or less contact patch :eek: ,
Unless you fit a 5.5 or 6 inch rim to go with it:)
Incorrect.

Measured both today while at the workshop and even with 40psi in the new tyre, compared to 38 in the old, the 180/55 Z6 has a wider contact patch than the old. On the 'scrub-in' ride, I have used all the way to the edge of the tyre without pushing hard, where-as, the old 160/70 was showing only a little wear on the very edge at end of life.

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
I've had the Conti Road Attacks on for almost 11,000 miles. I got one of the first 18" front sizes (120/70 ZR18) to go with a readily obtainable rear (170/60 ZR17). I run them at 42 psi with my Smart-tire keeping me honest.
My previous set was the Metzler Z6/880 combo that worked very well. The Z6 seemed tippy... almost too eager to turn while the Road Attack seemed just right. I don't drag my pegs so the Conti's may not have been pushed to their limit, but they feel very secure.
I've only been in the rain with them once and it was all on the freeway where they performed as expected.
I'm coming to the end of usage on the rear as it is down to... well maybe passed the wear markers, but the front looks great. No cupping of any kind. I don't think I can go through two rears with only one front. More like two fronts to three rears is more likely.
I got the Road Attacks for mileage with handling being secondary. They have not disappointed in either category.
I got the first set from Tires Unlimited, but the second rear came from MotoXOutlet in Utah. A better price if you're just getting one tire. SouthwestMoto is hard to beat with their free shipping if you're getting two.
I would like to try the new Avon Storms, not because the Conti's are bad in any way, but just because they're new.
I'll have a new set of Road Attacks on at SeaSTOC if anyone wants to try them out.

John

OP
OP
panman40
Incorrect.

Measured both today while at the workshop and even with 40psi in the new tyre, compared to 38 in the old, the 180/55 Z6 has a wider contact patch than the old. On the 'scrub-in' ride, I have used all the way to the edge of the tyre without pushing hard, where-as, the old 160/70 was showing only a little wear on the very edge at end of life.
I guess Metzelers must be unique then:confused: , I have tried this several times in years gone past and all that is achieved is pulling a wider section tyre in onto a narrower rim than it's meant for, causing a far to rounded profile.
Please post again with a few thou miles on and let us know what the handling is like and the squaring off in the centre:)

Top Bottom