Continental Road Attacks

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
With the Avon Storm poll going, I have to report on my Continental Road Attack experience. I've just changed my first front getting 12,781. I should have changed at 12,000 as there was a hint of the steel cord showing. The sides wore out before the center probably due to a spirited run through Joshua Tree Park at SeaSTOC. My first rear got 11,300. I could have gone further, but winter and rain was coming.
My previous experience was with the Metzler Z8/880 combo where I got 10,500 front and 12,100 rear on those. The Z6 wore fairly evenly with a touch of cupping and the 880 wore out in the center. The Z6 wanted to fall into a turn easier than the Road Attack, but that sensation was before I got a Superbrace which took away some of the quickness in a trade off for steadiness. I did have one rain experience (Southern Cal, after all) and the Road Attacks were perfect, but then, I didn't push them in the wet.
Both sest were quiet to my ear.
I thought of changing to Avons, but the low mileage reported by people at TechSTOC got me to repeat with the Continentals. I've had good mileage with Continentals in the past so I went with a second set. Someday, I will try the Pilot Roads and Storms and maybe even the Battleaxes. It's so hard to remember what a set felt like when it was almost a year in the past.
I got the Z6/880s from Southwest Moto, one Attack from Tires Unlimited, and one from American Moto. Southwest has the best deal if you need two as that makes the shipping free, but all three gave good and speedy service.
To sum it up, I would highly recommend the Road Attacks for someone who's style didn't involve dragging pegs, yet enjoyed some twisties. The front has harder rubber in the center with sticky rubber on the sides. They seem a good combination of slab mileage and twisty confidence.

John

I have Conti Road Attacks front and back of my ST 1300 (06) and am more than happy with them. Super sticky for the wet and greasy UK roads and where I live in West Wales. Great tyres and will deffo use again.

STOC #
Good to hear some reviews of the Road Attacks. I have the Road Attacks on my Buell XB12r and they are very good. I am on my first set of Pilot Road 2 and I am VERY impressed with them even over the standard Pilot Roads.

Neil S.

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
A good report. I will put them on my list for consideration for the next change. :03biker:

Bike
2003 ST1300
A good report. I will put them on my list for consideration for the next change. :03biker:
DITTO !! I have only heard good things about the Conti RAs, but not from a ST owner. I'm putting 5-6 K on my current Dunlops this summer, then I have to decide Storms, Vs PR 2s, Vs Contis. I was in heavy rain last weekend on freeway thinking "Now which tire do you want to have right now"? My first answer was the Storm, but I've had great experiences with Michelins too. Maybe I should flip a 3 sided coin.
Cheers!

wmflewelling I have 19,400 on my 07 st and i am on my third set of dunlaps. And after. yesterdays ride my rear is a rag. I don"t think i want more dunlaps but confussed as to what to try. Open for suggestions. The third set have less than 4,000 mi. Bill

OP
OP
jnsgardner

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
Having just returned from DesertSTOC, I can add an additional qualification for the Road Attacks. Not only are they sticky in the wet, they work well in SNOW! Leaving San Diego last Thursday in a light rain, it never occurred to me that I would have a problem going over the high ground on I 8 to the east. Climbing higher, I watched as the thermometer dropped to 32 and the rain turned to snow flurries. I should have turned back, but I was all packed and on the road, so I pressed on. Now the flurries turned into real snow and a car right in front of me did a 360 and slid off the road. I was down to 25 mph and was following a snow plow. The snow was sticking to my shield and the visibility was down to 100 feet. More cars off the road including one upside down. I didn't stop because the driver appeared to be alright. My main concern was the bridges where they might be icy. Also, the crosswind didn't help either. I made the 4150 ft summit and started down. Now the snow turned back into rain and the worst was over.
The Gods must have smiled on me that day and the rest of the trip was uneventful. By the way, the freeway through Tucson is all torn up for at least 25 miles. Avoid it if at all possible.
So there you have it. Road Attacks are good in snow... just never try them out. Snow and motorcycles don't mix!

John

DeSTy

King of the Bling
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I was given a set of new Road Attacks by a friend who owns a bike shop to "try out" on my ST. They lasted a week before being replaced with new Z6's.

The Road Attack is not a dual compound tyre, and does not have the side grip of the Z6, which is. I found the front end wanted to push through corners while the Z6, even heavily worn, tracked cleanly and predictably.

Bike
2006 st1300
I live up in Vancouver and do about 20,000 km a year, my 06 has 56,000 k and I am on my 5th back tire...and it's near done
I agree with your comments on The Z6/880 combo, The best mileage so far
I have been averaging 10-11,000 km(7.000miles) on the back and I wear 2 rears for 1 front, I get down to the wear bars and then change them
Most of my riding is in central US, no interstates, but still lots of high speed runs, last year 1 trip to San Diego and 2 to the grand Canyon/Utah area
I talked to two Metzler reps about going flat in the middle on the back and both told me to run 50 psi in the back and front........seems high any comment? I have been running the 42 psi
I ran a set of Avon Storms with slightly less mileage but was a great combo, but not as bad as I would have thought given they are great in the rain,

Thanks R6

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Good to hear some reviews of the Road Attacks. I have the Road Attacks on my Buell XB12r and they are very good. I am on my first set of Pilot Road 2 and I am VERY impressed with them even over the standard Pilot Roads.]

I getting ready of a new set tires and I'm currently using the PR1. I am happy with the performance, but, I am having a hard time with the road noise. I planned on returning to the Z6.

My question is..are the PR2 less noisy.

OP
OP
jnsgardner

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
I've run all my tires 42/42. The SmarTire farkle keeps me aware of when I'm less.
I'm on my second set. It's good to see others trying them. I don't want to be the only one singing their praises.

John

Bike
Honda ST1300
Just put a new set on with 15,500 on the bike. Will be interesting to see how long they last. So far they are fine on the road. Seem to stick well.

LZ Have a nice day.!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom