Crazed site glasses

Bike
2004 ST1300
Both the clutch and brake master cylinder site glasses on my 2004 are badly crazed/sun damaged. Haven't seen a rebuild kit that includes the glass/plastic replacement.

Anyone replace these before? If so, source for the parts and issues with replacing?

Honestly not even sure if it should be a concern....

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
There are replacement kits available, basically a lens and you use a silicone/RTV to glue them in. No problem until they develop cracks and leak....
Easy to replace, just dig out the old one and clean things up, wipe the opening with isopropyl alcohol, let dry, then a light coating of RTV in the opening. Press in the new lens, a little smear of RTV around the perimeter... wipe off any excess with alcohol.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Just did a Giggle search, and found this video at Rocky Mtn. Motorcycle and ATV:

Not sure if the sight glass is 18mm or maybe 16mm, so measure to be sure.
Hope this is helpful.
And yeah, if you can't see the level or the condition of the contents of your master cylinders, my view would be to replace them.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
Just did a Giggle search, and found this video at Rocky Mtn. Motorcycle and ATV:

Not sure if the sight glass is 18mm or maybe 16mm, so measure to be sure.
Hope this is helpful.
And yeah, if you can't see the level or the condition of the contents of your master cylinders, my view would be to replace them.
Thanks both. I'll measure and order then. I can see the level not the condition but I just did a full fluid swap so condition is not a worry this riding season.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
For anyone wondering they are 18mm and you can get them with o-rings for under $10 for 2. I'll post you how the process goes once I tackle it.

Top Bottom