Jackets Darien fleece Jacket liner

Bike
2004 ST1300
Does anyone ride with a Darien fleece liner? I have a First Gear textile jacket and the cool weather liner is only good until about 40. I'm looking for something I can wear underneath the jacket and is wind resistant. Aerostich is the only one I've found but at $237 bucks, kinda leaves me cold! Sorry, couldn't resist!!

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I bought a Darien jacket on eBay for $250 and it came with the fleece liner. This a very heavy, wind proof, warm liner! Can be worn on its own once you arrive at your destination.It will take you down into the 30s but it's even better with an electric liner!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've not seen the Darien fleece come up that often on ebay as a stand alone item, and I have had a standing search w/ ebay for a few years that notifies me of all new Aerostitch items. On the other hand, my first Roadcrafter popped up within a couple of months of looking.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Buy an electric vest. Best money you will ever spend on gear.
I have to agree with Bush that going electric is the best investment, but I would opt for the full jacket liner with sleeves and a controller. My Darien Jacket as a waterproof/windproof shell, the electric jacket liner(Gerbings), and a long sleeve "t-shirt" underneath it all is my choice for cooler weather.

Bike
05 ST1300
I use a t-shirt, then my electric vest, then a hoodie, then a waterproof/windproof liner. Warm and toastie as ya like. Only suggestion would be to change the tshirt for a long sleeved tshirt cux the heater elements that come down the sleeves get really warm where the liner comes to a pinch point such as between the gloves and the wrist. Came home from Yuma week before last. Spent 2 days with that get-up on. Was between 50-35 for both those days. Next trip like that I’ll hook up a pair of heated socks cuz that was the only cold area. Got the socks just didn’t have them along.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
+1 on the electric full jacket liner instead of the vest, but wear a long sleeve shirt underneath. And, when it's less than ~50°F, I put the zip-in liner in my winter jacket to hold the heat in better and minimize drafts. The only question you'll ask after buying electric gear is... why did I wait so long.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
If Eclipse is still in business making heated gear, I can easily recommend them as top quality. Bought my Eclipse heated vest in 1983 (yes, 36 years ago) and it still works a charm! Even has a heated collar.

If not Eclipse, whatever brand you get, try to get one that has a heated collar.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've had good luck with a Gerbings electric jacket liner under an outer shell but I lucked out a year ago and got a Aerostich Darien Unobtanium fleece heated jacket in exchange for some work I did on a friend's bike and car. It's what Aerostich used to sell about up to about 10-15 years ago. It's windstopper fleece and reversible so heated fleece is against my base layer. It doesn't heat up as much as my Gerbings jacket does but it's more versatile and is warmer on it's own compared to the thinly insulated Gerbings. I had to rewire a connector for it to mate with my Gerbings controller.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I like Warm and Safe gear and it's worked well for me. I still have my Eclipse vest though the plastic base for the SAE connector became brittle and self destructed. I bought it when it came out right after I bought my new GL1000. The only controller available at the time was the inline On/Off switch on the cord. The Eclipse did shrink rather badly over the years. But it still works.

Preferences will vary but unless you have a tonne of money to buy heated gear for all occasions and contingencies I'd suggest a heated jacket/liner or shirt. In cold weather (not that I'd really know around here) a vest is an improvement but your arms may not stay warm enough for you. A jacket/liner (or WnS heated shirt) with controller is a great way to go.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
If you decide on warm n safe use coupon code Steve for a 15% discount. If you have any questions feel free to PM me I would be happy to help you out.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SteveST1300 said:
The warm n safe jackets can also be worn as a jacket after the ride.
That's what I do. Mine is bright yellow so riding buddies can find me if I wander off.

Top Bottom