Darkside and Insurance

Bike
2006 ST1300
As a Darksider myself, I think legitimate questions about insurance coverage are good. Unfortunately I don't think anyone can offer up a good answer, mainly because there IS NO correct answer, with the exception of taking your policy to an attorney and going through it line by line. And even then, things can be interpreted differently by different lawyers.

There may be wording about "non standard equipment". That can apply not only to a car tire, but a top box, aftermarket windscreen, lighting, etc. Coming from the 4x4 world, we used to have the same problems with lifted 4x4 vehicles. Some insurance companies don't question them at all, some will find any excuse to get out of paying. This usually comes into play with comprehensive insurance and trying to get them to cover aftermarket upgrades, but there have been cases where claims were denied and coverage dropped because the vehicle was altered.

We can discuss it all day, and that is good, but the truth is, none of us can answer the question. Each of us would have to bring our particular policy to a lawyer and see how they interpret it.

Jim

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
We can discuss it all day, and that is good, but the truth is, none of us can answer the question. Each of us would have to bring our particular policy to a lawyer and see how they interpret it.
yup.. well said... and you'd probably get a different answer depending on the day or if you asked before or after lunch.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
But there are no solid answers , except the past claims from those who have had mishaps on car tires and since no one has found a example of a denied claim either ct guys don't wreck and make claims or it is a non issue ? So far the proof given is it is a non issue unless I missed the post of actual denied claims that others know of ?????

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
On the other hand, nobody running a ct has posted that they have crashed and made a claim and it was a non issue.

Gene

STOC #
Thats the point, as many bikes running around this country on CT's and the number of wrecks a yr some of those must be on CT's , but no one has knowlege of just one claim denied because of a CT . If there was just one documented example of denial this could be put to rest , but even with all the forums we all belong to not one of us has heard of a actual denial happening . The way riders like to complain about insurance companies this would surely have make the forum hot lists .

How long have Hd's and Wing's been running on the DS , this had to have happened somewhere ?

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I agree. I am sure someone has had a wreck and filed a claim, but you would think that there would be a thread in existance where someone crashed and did not have an issue with insurance. Unless its safe to assume that nobody wants to go to a public forum and admit they crashed on a car tire.

Gene

STOC #
Only one thats all we need to accept the claim "it might cause denial " , so far there just is no evidence to be shown that this is TRUE and anything other than opinions of arm chair lawyers and fear of something different .

Bike
2006 ST1300
I was browsing a Wing forum last night and found a LOT more CT info there. Those guys have been running them for years. In comparison, on average CTs on STs is very new; very few have done it; and overall i think we put less miles on than typical Wing riders. If you want generic CT info which doesn't have to be ST specific, they would be the ones to ask.

I even saw a few of them run dual darkside!!! Usually just for slab though.

Jim

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I even saw a few of them run dual darkside!!! Usually just for slab though.
Which, for those who like me two weeks ago, didn't know what dual dark was, it is a CT on the rear and a rear MT on the front.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Which, for those who like me two weeks ago, didn't know what dual dark was, it is a CT on the rear and a rear MT on the front.
That's not really dual dark... that's more mocha...

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I agree. I am sure someone has had a wreck and filed a claim, but you would think that there would be a thread in existance where someone crashed and did not have an issue with insurance. Unless its safe to assume that nobody wants to go to a public forum and admit they crashed on a car tire.
I crashed with a car tire on a motrocycle. Progressive wrote me a check for thousands and thousands of dollars within 7 days and they got the motorcycle with the car tire right on the back of the bike.

You can close this thread.

Raymond

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
That is good to hear Raymond, as I have Progressive too. But,,,I fear there is no solid answer to what to expect. I would guess that every instance stands the chance to have a different outcome than previous experience or anecdotal evidence would indicate. I would not be surprise if two different guys making the call in the same office may make opposite rulings. While we can hope we are okay based on the lake of people coming forward with stories of being denied, I fear it will be a hold your breath and hope for the best situation, should I have a claim while on a CT.
Progressive treated me well when I wrecked the 97, I hope I don't need to find out.
Mark

Bike
ST1300
.... when I wrecked the 97....
Mark
Can't help it .. gotta quote a 100 year old poem ...

Well, the engineer he said to his black, greasy fireman
"Shovel on a little more coal,
And when we cross that White Oak Mountain
You can watch Old 97 roll."

It's a mighty hard road from Lynchburg to Danville
A road with a three-mile grade.
It was on that grade that he lost his airbrake,
You can see what a jump she made.

He was goin' down the grade making 90 miles an hour,
When his whistle broke into a scream,
He was found in the wreck with his hand on the throttle,
He was scalded to death by the steam.