Diavel vs. Vmax in MCN

OP
OP
Judge
Still, mighty impressive for a twin.
Yes, very impressive for a twin. The vmax is incredibly fast, so hat's off to the Diavel for keeping up with it to 100mph.

I did read however how Ducati felt confident that the Diavel would be measureably faster than the vmax, which as we've come to find out is not the case.

Bike
2007 ST1300A6
Who cares about the times/speeds apart from the media comics and the poor sad people who buy their bikes on the latest bragging rights and figures in the rags?

Riding a bike is about much more than that, yes we like quick bikes, but who of us can REALLY tell the difference in stopwatch figures in the real world?

Riding a bike is about the whole experience and style and character is something the Diavel has in bucket loads and the V Max simply doesnt...........!

OP
OP
Judge
Who cares about the times/speeds apart from the media comics and the poor sad people who buy their bikes on the latest bragging rights and figures in the rags?

Riding a bike is about much more than that, yes we like quick bikes, but who of us can REALLY tell the difference in stopwatch figures in the real world?

Riding a bike is about the whole experience and style and character is something the Diavel has in bucket loads and the V Max simply doesnt...........!
Could not disagree more.

While I've not ridden the Diavel, I have spent time enough on Duc Monsters to agree that the Diavel will not lack character. As for it's style, it leaves me a bit cold, but that's subjective.

As for the Vmax....it is one of the most charasmatic bikes to ever roll out of Japan in my own opinion...Gen 1 or Gen 2. The V4 is simply visceral and has an almost V8 like tone and feel to it. There's no arguing how unique the vmax is and has been, like it or not.

To say that the vmax lacks character is far less than an objective observation. You may not like it, but the vmax has always oozed character. The Diavel and Vmax are just charasmatic in different ways. You choose the one that pushes your buttons.

As for who "cares"?..I can't answer that, but I have something beyond a passive interest in what the Diavel can do vs. it's competition (which as it turns out falls short of Ducati's bold claims).

Bike
2007 ST1300A6
True, style is very subjective and for me, the V Max is too ornate and too plasticy in appearance. I liked the original V Max, but I feel the latest version is a missed opportunity for Yamaha.

Character is also subjective, the V Max may have character compared to other Japanese bikes, but for me, well I prefer twins, preferablt V twins.

It's good to differ and have discussion on these things.

OP
OP
Judge
True, style is very subjective and for me, the V Max is too ornate and too plasticy in appearance. I liked the original V Max, but I feel the latest version is a missed opportunity for Yamaha.

Character is also subjective, the V Max may have character compared to other Japanese bikes, but for me, well I prefer twins, preferablt V twins.

It's good to differ and have discussion on these things.
I know exactly what you mean, and the Duc V-Twin is seductive in it's own unique way. It always makes me smile when I ride one.

Interestingly, I feel the new Vmax became less ornate vs. the old one. For example, the 1st gen vmax had stamped non-functional scoops, and relative to the engine, a very underwhelming chassis.

The new vmax has functional hand polished aluminum intake scoops, and a much superior chassis.

If it were me, and the wife and budget allowed I'd pass on the Diavel for the Vmax, and opt for an 1100 Monster.

Dare to dream....

Bike
2007 ST1300A6
Ah! So we do agree about somethings!!! I saw a pre-production version of the new 1100 Monster at the Birmingham bike show here in UK last November. It has a different exhaust system with short twin pipes exiting below and behind the rhs rider's footpeg and it looked lovely!!!!

That's the one I'd go for too!!!!!

Top Bottom