Did I screw up?

All of you I'm sure know how expensive rear tires are for this bike so in searching trying to find a reasonably priced tire that would perform well I chose the Dunlop roadsmart 2.not knowing enough about tires I was unaware that a tire for the motorcycle has a weight rating and I have just found out as my tires being shipped to me that this Dunlop roadsmart 2 is not rated for a very heavy bike so you got the heavy st250 plus and then if I got my wife on so my question is did I screw up buying this tire should have sent it back. need help thanks

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you bought a 170/60ZR17 tire it will have the required load rating of 72W. Some tires are load rated 72W and have a slightly different construction to better support heavy (over 500 lbs) bikes but if the sidewall is marked 72W you did not totally screw up. A standard 72W will work ok.

OP
OP
Drakkar
If you bought a 170/60ZR17 tire it will have the required load rating of 72W. Some tires are load rated 72W and have a slightly different construction to better support heavy (over 500 lbs) bikes but if the sidewall is marked 72W you did not totally screw up. A standard 72W will work ok.
Thanks so much for your quick reply to my post dduelin. I've owned and rode motorcycles since I was a teenager now in my early fifties and never considered a weight rating for a tire for motorcycle or any a passenger vehicle ever owned. sure glad you did.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
All of you I'm sure know how expensive rear tires are for this bike so in searching trying to find a reasonably priced tire that would perform well I chose the Dunlop roadsmart 2.not knowing enough about tires I was unaware that a tire for the motorcycle has a weight rating and I have just found out as my tires being shipped to me that this Dunlop roadsmart 2 is not rated for a very heavy bike so you got the heavy st250 plus and then if I got my wife on so my question is did I screw up buying this tire should have sent it back. need help thanks
You need to look at much more than the sticker price IMO. I used to go with Dunlop RoadSmart because of price, but after experiencing other (and much better) tires, I will never go back. I used to get approx. 6,000 miles out of my Dunlop, and the last few thousand were uncomfortable as the cupping was immense. So really just 4,000 miles of joy. I tried a Pirelli Angel GT - it was a little more up front, but it gave me 10,000 miles of pure joy. So, if you calculate $/mile and adjust for safety and comfort, I believe there are much better choices than Dunlop RoadSmart. On my FJR I have Michelin Pilot 4 and currently going on 11,000 miles and still a joy to ride...

Bike
2000 ST1100
Now this is just me. But you can never go wrong with the OEM tire the manufacturer of your bike selected for your bike.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Now this is just me. But you can never go wrong with the OEM tire the manufacturer of your bike selected for your bike.
I agree - but there are many other tires that may be just as good or better. I used several Bridgestone BT on my ST - they were just fine. I did however end up liking the Angel GT a little more...

Last edited:

Les Denton

FL Native
Bike
2006 ST1300
RS3's work for me, I had a new set of RS3 installed today. The first set carried us from S FL to Edmonton Alberta, 10,000 miles 2 up and loaded. Mostly secondary roads, lots of rough roads and some dirt / gravel. The tires easily had another 1,000 miles of tread remaining and showed no cupping. RS3's feel solid in the rain, corner and stop well. After +100 miles on gravel / dirt I've decided the ST and or these tires require more rider concentration than I want to give and will minimize dirt / gravel sections.

Bike
2007 ST1300 "Silby"
STOC #
Michelin street pilot PG4 GT. All I’ll run!
The tire is the only thing between you and the asphalt, I want the best I can buy!

Top Bottom