Armor Do I need new armor ?

So Veronica started a thread about removing his armor. After reading all the replies I got to thinking about my armor. I have an older (8 years) pair of Motoport pants and a newer (2 years) Joe Rocket jacket. The pants have armor on the knees and the low butt. The Jacket has the elbows, high spine and shoulder. The armor in the pants is just a thin foam material and the jacket is foam but double layer. I am now thinking that I may want to upgrade, especially the pants. I know I cannot get made to fit material. It looks like Newenough has a CE material that I can probably cut to fit. Does anyone have some suggestions and/or comments ?

CE approved armor usually is a more rigid armor. Most of my new jackets use this armor and intuitively I think it would work better. I have no proof though. I have a hard time believing foam only armor would perform as well.

Phil

CE armor is hard shell on the outside and compliant foam on the inside.

Call New Enough and they will recommend the GP Armor for Joe Rocket stuff. It is made to fit.

I have tested the Knox armour which was standard fit in my Bellstaff kit. I believe that my right knee cap was saved by the armour as the armour was part worn through. I did however break my right shoulder and a finger as I landed heavily on my right side at speed. I replaced the kit with Bellstaff / Knox again.

http://www.planet-knox.com/product.htm

I'd go and talk to Wayne at Cycle Port and see what he suggests. I think that his product is Motoport as well. Seems a shame not to take advantage of his expertise. At the very least I'd give him a call. 800-777-6499

Fred,
I agree with Dana go see Wayne at Cycle port / Motoport in San Marco's.
Call him first though and set up an appointment that way you get his full attention.
I would also suggest taking a pair of your favorite jeans you wear daily . He can cut riding gear to your favorite pants that you wear daily and compensate sizing for the armour.
IMHO he has the best,ask him about the difference between Kevlar and Cordura and the coatings different manufacturers use.
I think even if you do not purchase from him he will possibly offer his opinion on what manufacturer's you should stear clear of in the interest of you own hide.
Talk to you later Fred.

I usually ride with an Aerostich. However, for warm temps, I just bought BMW Summer 2 pants and a mesh jackets. I thought the armor in the jacket was weak so I bought a full armor kit from high gear velocity. Received it yesterday. Looks good but haven't ridden in it yet. I suspect it will be warm but the mest jacket will allow cooling at speed. This kit is designed to be worn as a shirt under your jacket.

Back
Top Bottom