Dunlop Roadsmart Back Tire Leak

Bike
2006 ST1300
Clearly, I don't post often, mostly an avid reader however thought I would throw in my two cents concerning Dunlop tires. I swore off of them 20 years ago but as of late thought I would give them a second chance......much to my dismay. I was affected by the front tire recall and all went well with that however NOW I have a back tyre issue!!!

Seems the new (installed Feb. but has 4k+ on it now) has a leak.

Turns out the bead area on the tire itself has a quarter inch long, lateral running piece of re-enforcing nylon or the like that was not properly encase in the rubber compound and it seems the air inside has found a way to enter the carcass inside the tire and migrate to this small, expose area of chord at the bead and then leak out at the bead. I found it by immersing the wheel in a deep pan of water. Bubbles where very evident. Let out the air, broke the bead, attempted to clean rim thinking debris might be the problem to no avail.

Clearly a manufacture defect. Will notify Dunlop tomorrow but not counting on much.

Will swear off of Dunlop for as least another twenty years and make those I know and ride with aware of situation.

Curious if others may have experience this.

Regards,
Rotorhead

Bike
2005 ST1300PA
STOC #
So, no leak for the first 4000 miles and it's now leaking; or has it been leaking all along and you just determined the source?

Byron

STOC #
. . .

Turns out the bead area on the tire itself has a quarter inch long, lateral running piece of re-enforcing nylon or the like that was not properly encase in the rubber compound and it seems the air inside has found a way to enter the carcass inside the tire and migrate to this small, expose area of chord at the bead and then leak out at the bead. I found it by immersing the wheel in a deep pan of water. Bubbles where very evident. Let out the air, broke the bead, attempted to clean rim thinking debris might be the problem to no avail.

Clearly a manufacture defect. . . . Rotorhead

The defect you are describing might have been caused when the tire was mounted. As the tire is forced over the rim the last few inches can be really tough and sometime the tire mounting tools can tear the bead area. May not be a manufacturing defect. Pictures might help.

OP
OP
Bike
2006 ST1300
Leaking all along. Originally chalked it up to a bad valve stem which I replaced and bleed down continued. Never occurred to me that the bead might be seeping. Me thinks not a common assumption. The question of why didn't I notice it earlier is answered by the fact that I just figured a 2,5 pound drop per week might be due to temp. change or the like. The assumption that I should have noticed it much earlier and ascertained the problem is valid and for this I have no excuse. I routinely check pressure before every ride so adding 2 pounds seemed like no big deal......my mistake it appears. That alone however does not excuse what I believe to be a manufacture defect. I agree with the possibility of damage whilst mounting on rim, however in this particular instance I don't believe that to be the case.

Unfortunately, pictures are not possible at this time since I have remounted wheel after effectively completing a repair to the carcass. Tire should have another 2k or so left in it I presume........I can't get 10k+ out of a tire like some folks seem to be able to do. Never have on any of my bikes....probably never will.

I notified Dunlop of my concerns. They seem unconcerned. I am to follow warranty procedures listed on the website. I think I'll just wear it out and switch back to tried and true Bridgestone and be happy.

Regards,
Rotorhead

Top Bottom