Dunlop Roadsmart

I have the Roadsmarts on an ST11 (110/80 front, 170/60 rear). At 6000kms the rear is more worn that I was expecting, down to 3mm in the centre tread. Unless the wear slows a lot, it will not last as long as the last rear Storm that does not have dual compounds. I got 10,000kms out of the Storm rear. Front is wearing evenly and will go longer than the rear, similar to the Storm front, which has not been my experince with other tyres.

Grip wise can't fault the tyres in any conditions. Depending on final distance I get out of them, I would go back to the Storms as I can get the right size rear in them (when they are in stock).

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Sounds like the wrong size rear. The ST1100 uses a 160/70. Maybe that's part of the reason? Your wear experience doesn't bode well for the ST1300 however, which does use the 170/60 size.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Sounds like the wrong size rear. The ST1100 uses a 160/70. Maybe that's part of the reason? Your wear experience doesn't bode well for the ST1300 however, which does use the 170/60 size.
He did mention that he could get the Storm in the correct rear tire size. It was my understanding that they don't make a Roadsmart to fit the 1100 but I never looked to see how close it was. I don't know if running the wrong size rear would accelerate the wear. My rears wear the center of the tire more than the side because we don't have a lot of twisties. I don't see where the tire size would have much impact on the wear of the center of the tire.

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Going from a 160/70 to a 170/60 should not be that big of a deal. It only increases the tire with by 4/10 inch. On a BMW K100LT I changed from a 130/90 to a 140/80 rear tire and with 11,000 miles on the Metzler ME880 bias tire it still had good tread. I would think that the Roadsmart may not be a tire for longevity.

Ralph Sims

OP
OP
I could not get the right size Storms at the time. The rear does not look oversize at all. A 4.5 inch rear rim is within the sizes the tyre will fit, but a 5 inch is the optimal. The sides of the rear are also worn down, hopefully will not wear out before the centre (we do have some twisties here, and I just did a trip through the mountains). It would be interesting how it would go on a ST13 as I would expect heavier wear in all these areas if you got on the throttle. I also got 10,000kms from a Z6 rear, so was expecting the dual compound tyre to get something a bit better than the Storm or Z6.

It is a good tyre anyway, just not the grip with extended mileage tyre for me. Perhaps on different road surfaces or gentler touring use it may last longer, as the roads are abrasive down here, but the same would apply for other tyres. I would happliy go for a Z6, Storm or Roadsmart depending on price and availability.

Last edited:

Jeff Snook

snookered
Bike
ST1300 2007
I recently put the Storm on the back and haven't been impressed so far. I'll give it the full lifecycle before making a final opinion though. I recently received a new parts catalogue and saw the Roadsmart. I went on the Dunlop website to compare the 220 vs. the Roadsmart and the site had no information on the 220. I sent an email asking about the differences and got the following reply:
"Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your Dunlop motorcycle
tire questions. The Dunlop Roadsmart is a sport-touring radial designed to
offer the ultimate wet-weather performance with long lasting mileage to
match. The rear tire utilizes a multi-tread compound which features a long
wearing compound in the center of the tire tread and a lateral grip
compound on each shoulder edge to maximize cornering performance. The
front tire has a "Qualifier-like" profile for a maximum contact patch area
when cornering and deep, long lateral grooves for maximum water evacuation
in both straight line and cornering situations. Expected mileage before
wear out is generally 6,000 - 10,000 miles depending upon driving habits
and tire maintenance. Under the same conditions, the expected tread life
of the Dunlop D220 was 4,000 - 8,000 miles."

Jeff
I Ride, I Eat, Therefore I Am.
Quadrigae Epulae Amici

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have about 6,000 miles on my Roadsmarts and the rear looks like a BS021 at 9,000 - 10,000 miles. Half of those miles was with the bike fully loaded. From a wear standoint I am satisfied with the Roadsmarts.

Bike
ST1300A
I have about 6,000 miles on my Roadsmarts and the rear looks like a BS021 at 9,000 - 10,000 miles. Half of those miles was with the bike fully loaded. From a wear standoint I am satisfied with the Roadsmarts.
You know, I had really, really bad wear out of a set of RoadSmart's and considered it to be a tire problem until I started looking at the load. We had done two up touring for most of those miles and I had been running the tires at the recommended 42psi. Except that with both of us and gear we were pushing the weight limits of the bike which I now believe was causing the tire to squat, wearing the softer shoulders ridiculously fast.

So, using a constant contact patch calculation I figured I should be running about 46psi. Now when we're two-up I put in a few extra psi, the bike feels GREAT and my mileage has returned to normal. The tires are within spec (max load, max psi) so I don't believe there's any risk involved.

Has anybody else tried this?

Edit: Yeah, it's just "Roadsmart" no '2' req'd. Sorry!

Last edited:

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
I just got a new rear Roadsmart this morning.....asked about the Roadsmart two and got the "You mean Pilot Road 2?" response...Doesn't mean it doesn't exist...just that the stooge at cycle gear didn't know about it....

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
I had the Roadsmarts slide the front on me in both braking and cornering decidedly earlier than my other tires on the SV. When I contacted Dunlop with a complaint, the reply was essentially that this is a sport "tour" tire, not a sport tire. Then they mailed me literature on their sport tire line.

My former tire would let me scrape pegs on the bike and hold solid as a rock. The Roadsmarts would slide the front well before a peg touched down. The SV leans farther than the ST before a peg touches down though. Regardless, this stuff still translates into emergency stopping grip levels as well.

In fairness, the tire stuck super well in the rain, very good there.

My opinion of Dunlop sport tour tires remains poor. In my opinion the rear Roadsmart grips very strongly with it's dual compound, but the front compound is not quite as good at gripping, allowing the front to let loose first (bad on a motorcycle it's preferable to have the rear slide first).

The stellar magazine reviews were what I went on to purchase these tires, as I'd had poor results with earlier Dunlop sport tour tires. I'm sorry I did purchase them. YMMV, but I personally won't trust them to all out maximal emergency stopping situations after trying them (I can lock the front up too easily for my taste). Additionally I did find a couple other complaints on internet forums. In general though people seem to like them well enough. I however am the type who would rather have a tire that sticks very well in emergency braking rather than get ultimate mileage out of them. There are rider types who revere mileage over grip. Each to his own situation. Just my opinion type thing.

I suppose the heavy weight of the ST may improve their stick behavior some, I don't know that though and am a bit skeptical, yet allow it may be so.

The Pilot Road is the one with the (2) designation Michelin Pilot Road 2. I found these to be very grippy, also very quick turning tires (they are on the Bandit). They require a light feel at the bars at high speeds going straight, but they are good once you get used to that. I'm not sure how they would do in a stiff wind on the ST but others I know seem to like them on the ST. I like them a lot on my bike. Like most Michelins whenever they do finally start sliding they start to let go a bit quicker than say a Pirelli would. However they hold on a very long sticky time before that, so I like them anyway.

Pirellis are my favorite for consistent dry handling and good grip so far (the PR2s are better in the wet though). The mileage isn't the ultimate on a Pirelli, but that's normally the case on a tire that sticks when you need it to. Unfortunately they aren't importing the Pirelli Diablo STrada in front ST size, so that doesn't help you guys.

Just have to remind you all occasionally that there are some who found the Roadsmarts lacking in grip at the front.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks Carl... the funny thing is the front is NOT dual compound as I understand the ads I've seen, they usually state the rear is dual compound so I would think the front is the stickier compound.

I think your statement that the STs weight is key, is key.. also, does the SV have linked brakes? I say that because applying some rear brake helps load up the front - with linked brakes - helping front end weight distribution and aiding in NOT sliding the front wheel..

I agree, if I had the front slide on me, I'd pass on the tires.. the original Avons on the ST did that back in 2004 for me and I've had a hard time thinking about Avon since then but so many like the Storms I may have to try them.

OP
OP
I also think you have to allow for the types of roads you ride on. Down here most are coarse chip, so my experince with tyres may be quite different to someone on smooth surface roads or concrete roads. I haven't had any issues with the Roadsmart, Storm, Azaro or Z6 fronts on the ST11. I agree that I can put up with a sliding rear (within reason) but need a sticky front tyre, as I am not good at saving front end loses by using knee sliders :) Dunlop D205 is a case in point, it performed solidly on the rear (not as good as any of the others I have mentioned, and no better life which was a further non-bonus), but I would never put one on the front.

PR2s sound promising, but last time I checked here they were just so much more expensive and/or just not available.

Last edited:
I have the BS021 on the pan, previous bike a Fazer 1000Gen1 had roadsmarts on, they transformed the Fazer and as soon as I can afford it they'll be on the Pan.:bow1:

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Your right Joe, the front is single compound, the rear has the real grippy stuff at the tire edges (oddly visible bands of different hardness there). The SV brakes are standard non linked. As soon as I locked the front early during my emergency braking practice, I readjusted to the reduced dry grip, but there is 100% no question the ultimate dry grip is substantially reduced in my application at least. It was a disappointment to me as I had high hopes for them, their good reviews, and their inexpensive price. It's just enough of a problem for me that I'm not willing to spend the $ to try them on my heavier bike to see if they work better.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Your right Joe, the front is single compound, the rear has the real grippy stuff at the tire edges (oddly visible bands of different hardness there). The SV brakes are standard non linked. As soon as I locked the front early during my emergency braking practice, I readjusted to the reduced dry grip, but there is 100% no question the ultimate dry grip is substantially reduced in my application at least. It was a disappointment to me as I had high hopes for them, their good reviews, and their inexpensive price. It's just enough of a problem for me that I'm not willing to spend the $ to try them on my heavier bike to see if they work better.
Well hopefully they will last long on my ST. I'm amazed the tire companies don't start marketing tires by bike weight. Putting the same tire on a light 650 HAS to act different than on the ST1300.

A common fitment on the XX site is a Pilot Power on the front and a Pilot Road on the rear for that problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom