#@*&^* Dunlop tires

Bike
'05 ST1300
I have not experienced any rub issues in 3,000 miles, and I have taken the bike to 105 a time or two.

Doing the math, the 120/70-18 is actually 8mm smaller in outside diameter than the 110/80-18. The only way there could be rub would be if the inner brace was damaged or bent prior, or if the tires were inflated rediculously high, OR if the wrong speed rated tires (i.e. OEM Nighthawk 750 front - K505) were mounted and were run at speeds above what they were designed for.

120 (width) x .70 (aspect ratio) = 84mm (sidewall height) x 2 (plus the rim) - For total outside circumference

110 (width) x .80 (aspect ratio) = 88mm (sidewall height) x 2 (plus the rim)

So, if my math is correct, if the 110 doesn't rub, the 120 never will. Plus, the 205's are ZR rated, which means they are designed for speeds that not even the 1300 is capable of reaching and will not swell more than 1/8" at full-tilt. I have talked with tire reps. at great length while building bikes in order to ascertain proper fender spacing to prevent rub, and they all have told me 1/8" is the max a ZR tire will swell. That's why you see these fat tire customs with the fender 1/4" off the tire. Most guys wrap the tire with fuel tubing for spacing during fab.

As far as different part nos. for the F. rim, isn't that because of the pickup for the ABS vesus the non-ABS not having a pickup? That was my understanding, but I may be wrong.

STOC #
I have not experienced any rub issues in 3,000 miles, and I have taken the bike to 105 a time or two.

Doing the math, the 120/70-18 is actually 8mm smaller in outside diameter than the 110/80-18. The only way there could be rub would be if the inner brace was damaged or bent prior, or if the tires were inflated rediculously high, OR if the wrong speed rated tires (i.e. OEM Nighthawk 750 front - K505) were mounted and were run at speeds above what they were designed for.

120 (width) x .70 (aspect ratio) = 84mm (sidewall height) x 2 (plus the rim) - For total outside circumference

110 (width) x .80 (aspect ratio) = 88mm (sidewall height) x 2 (plus the rim)

So, if my math is correct, if the 110 doesn't rub, the 120 never will. Plus, the 205's are ZR rated, which means they are designed for speeds that not even the 1300 is capable of reaching and will not swell more than 1/8" at full-tilt. I have talked with tire reps. at great length while building bikes in order to ascertain proper fender spacing to prevent rub, and they all have told me 1/8" is the max a ZR tire will swell. That's why you see these fat tire customs with the fender 1/4" off the tire. Most guys wrap the tire with fuel tubing for spacing during fab.

As far as different part nos. for the F. rim, isn't that because of the pickup for the ABS vesus the non-ABS not having a pickup? That was my understanding, but I may be wrong.
The rim for the ABSII version is wider and has bigger bearings. I'm glad your tire doesn't rub but it has happened for others.

Bike
'05 ST1300

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
The dimensions of a tire differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. The specs - 120/70ZR-18, is only a nominal dimension.

I remember a number of years ago, a friend installed the correct size of Michelin tire to his Wing, and the tire was rubbing on the swingarm. When he changed to a Dunlop, there was sufficient clearance. Both tires were the "same" dimension.

Bike
'05 ST1300
The dimensions of a tire differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. The specs - 120/70ZR-18, is only a nominal dimension.

I remember a number of years ago, a friend installed the correct size of Michelin tire to his Wing, and the tire was rubbing on the swingarm. When he changed to a Dunlop, there was sufficient clearance. Both tires were the "same" dimension.

I can see how that is possible, even though you would think that MC tires would have tighter tolerances between brands.

I've run across that with ATV tires before. I ordered 25" tires from two different manufacturers and one measured 24", and one measured almost 27"!

Well, maybe we can generate a list of which manufacturer's tires rubbed, and which tires clear.

Dunlop D205 120/70ZR-18s clear.

Top Bottom