EarPlugsOnline

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The Dan brought this up in a recent discussion and I decided to get a pair and also start a review thread here.

While I haven't done any long-distance riding with them yet, I did do about a 450 mile trip to OK and back and was very surprised how comfortable they were.

I felt no pressure on my ears like I do with traditional foam plugs and they were just as good at blocking out noise as the foam plugs.

It takes a couple tries to get them in your ear just right as they don't expand so you push them in - I form a cone with mine and push them in my ear and flatten them out.

Also discussed in the link above is the fact that some can split one of the two plugs and use them that way, as these are very generous, is like getting 2 for the price of 1 if you have small ear canals.

A few times I wondered if they had fallen out as I really didn't feel them at all yet I knew the wind noise wasn't there so they had to be in.

I'm giving a thumbs up to these and will continue to use them.

One small issue is the container they send these in is hard plastic and if you pack them away in that or put them in your pocket it may crack/break. I have some old round ear plug container I don't remember where I got but it was much better at holding them yet being easier to carry and not worry about the container breaking.

http://www.earplugsonline.com/

Bike
2005 & 2006 St 1300
STOC #
After reading Dan's review on these I did the same as many others and ordered a half dozen, still awaiting their arrival. Like so many others on this forum always looking for something which works a little better.

I've used these for nearly a decade. Best I've ever found for all day or all night wear. If you read the directions (directions?? For earplugs!!) it says to not insert them into the ear canal, but just fill in the big spot of the outer ear. Only advantage I've seen to doing it the 'right' way is that they stay cleaner longer. Still work as well as anything I've tried and even more comfy and easier to remove.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Yep, mine are on their way and I can't wait to try them, especially since I'll need to wear some for 14 straight days. I have very small canals and the foam ones always bother me. Good information and good timing! Thanks.

Oh, and mine came with a separate small container to carry them individually.

Last edited:

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I got mine yesterday and they were not what I was expecting. These are like Play-Doh. I split one in two and tried them out sleeping last night. VERY COMFORTABLE! I'm really going to like these on the bike and will be throwing out all of my foam ones! THANKS!

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
(like the headset Sena uses)?
Here is a review my brother did.

Dan is my brother, and he gave me a "pair" of the wax ear plugs a couple of years ago. Actually a pair of plugs really means two rather large "slugs" of the wax. I only used one of the wax slugs to make two ear plugs because using more was a pain in the butt for me. I guess I have smaller ears than Dan. I used that first pair of plugs for about a year and a half, and then I lost one of my plugs last fall, so I made a new set out of the other slug of wax (I was certainly due for a new set because the wax was getting dirty from handling). I just got done with an 11 day ride to the West Coast with my daughter. I ran the wax plugs the whole time, and I also have a Sena SMH-10. The plugs in conjunction with the Sena headsets worked great. My ears didn't get irritated at all. It takes a little bit to learn how best to use the wax plugs, but once you learn how, I find that they do an outstanding job of blocking noise but still allowing me to hear my music and the important noises (sirens, horns, etc.).

Honestly, these are the only ear plugs I will wear. I have a set of custom made plugs, and they suck. I have used foam plugs for years, and they eventually irritate my ears. I have used noise isolating ear buds (buds that plug into the ear and block out external noise), and they didn't block enough noise for me. I will always keep looking for a better mouse trap, but this is the best I've found so far.

That's my $0.02...YMMV.

Duke

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
I would love to do the ear plugs that you get custom molded to your ear, but don't have the cash with a possible relocation soon.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Hunting-Accessories/Hearing-Protection-Enhancement|/pc/104791680/c/104734980/sc/104381280/Radiansreg-Custom-Fit-Plugs/1530075.uts?destination=/category/Hearing-Protection-Enhancement/104381280.uts&WTz_l=Unknown;cat104381280

I've not tried those at Cabellas but intend to try the ones Mellow and The Dan speak of first.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
If these (from Mellows original post) re-form to your ear each time you put em in, is that practical for putting in and taking out multiple times throughout the day.
How does 'cleanliness' enter into it if one uses a pair of theses for a year!
If these are both non issues, it sounds like they are a great option.

Last edited:

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
If these are both non issues
After you figure out how to put them in after a few times it's not a problem at all. I find them easier to do than trying to get the foam to slide in without a couple of retakes...

Bike
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
They do get dirty. I find they mostly pickup dirt from my hands, so I am careful to clean my finger tips before handling them. As for grunge from my ears, I am really fastidious about my ears, so that isn't typically a problem for me.

Honestly, it comes down to a personal judgement call of how long you choose to use them. It also comes down to your situation. During cold weather they require more handling to soften. During warm weather your hands may get dirtier. Long rides, short rides, etc. Hey, this is sounding a lot like an oil thread.

Just like with foam plugs, you replace them when you don't like the looks of them. Either that or you replace them when you lose one.

Speaking of that, another nice thing about these plugs is that they don't blow away as easy as the foam ones. Sometimes when I make a quick stop I just stick them to a clean surface where I am likely to see them before putting on my helmet. The backside of my windshield at eye level or the top of my helmet work pretty well.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I figured I can forgo the Q-Tips now since these things will pull the potatoes right out with them! I agree on the clean hands/fingers. I use the antibacterial liquid I carry in my tank bag. And since airborne dust and stuff always seems to find its way into most orifices, who cares ;-)

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
I bought these plugs after Joe's review and could not be happier with them. I wish I had these before I started my hearing loss by jet engine 35 years ago. They are comfortable and the wind noise is not a factor anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom