EBC + Hot rotors ?

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Yes as stated. I changed my worn OEM pads on all 3 disc to EBC FA261HH. They stop perfectly but the rotors are very warm/hot to the touch after normal driving.

I remember with my OEM pads the rotors was cool to the touch after normal driving.

Did anyone else change to EBC and have hot rotors after?

I should mention my bike is a 2007a with 35000km, and still have the 6 plugs in the rear tire, with 500km:D on it.:07biker:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
When was the last time the brake fluid was changed? AT THAT TIME, were new pads install front/rear? If the fluid was changed and the pads were even 1/2 worn, the fluid was probably filled to the suggested levels, putting in new pads after that means the system may have a little too much fluid in it.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
When was the last time the brake fluid was changed? AT THAT TIME, were new pads install front/rear?
I changed the fluid at the time I changed the pads. I changed all 3 sets.

If the fluid was changed and the pads were even 1/2 worn, the fluid was probably filled to the suggested levels, putting in new pads after that means the system may have a little too much fluid in it.
The levels are correct

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I'm gonna guess you went with the EBC's because you wanted better braking, yes?

To get better braking you need more friction, more friction leads to more heat.

So it seems you have obtained what you wanted, yes?

Now, if the factory rotors can't handle the additional friction, that is something you may have needed to consider.

If you didn't buy the factory pads because you wanted to save money, then the result of cheaper pads may have been something to have considered as well.

I don't touch my rotors after riding with factory pads, because they are always hot/warm, but that's me.

It could be possible you just are using your brakes more....maybe?

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Popular consensus on this forum is that, in this case at least, the OEM Honda pads are the best choice for the ST1300. Normally, I would steer you to EBC or Galfer, but not on this bike.
The rear rotor will always run hot, due to the proximity to the exhaust as well as the final drive. If front are too hot to touch, you might make sure a piston isn't dragging and causing a pad to press a bit too hard on the rotor (disc brake pads always rub on the disc, even when released). A slightlly draggin brake will heat the rotor super quick.

Top Bottom