Engine protective covers

Guy's,
Firstly I'm sure I'm not the only one to have damaged crash protector covers that are located on the left and right-hand side of the fairing.
I seem to have a real problem locating them as a spare(Mine are in Grey but Black would be fine).
Failing this, as they are SLIGHTLY damaged can I use some type of filler and then rub them down to paint/ spray?
Any pictures or information would be very helpful!

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Which bike ?

Fowlers in the Uk list all 4 covers. Both sides of the ST1100, both sides for the ST1300 are shown as being in stock.
Whether or not they are still available to order when their stock runs out, I don't know.

Ditto David Silver Spares.

I suspect that the same parts fits all models, but I do not know this for certain - you would need to check. I guess yours is an 1100 - Ive never seen grey covers on a 1300, but the 1100 had a number of different shades of greys.

I'd give David Silver Spares a call see if they can advise. The ones I saw just now were for a 2000 model ST1100. cost about £35

But search for other years and models. It might be that the only difference is the colour - which would have a different part number.

I'll mention @Uncle Phil - I think he has one of everything. Bikes, not tip over covers. He may know about interchangeability.

I see that particular model had a cutaway on the right hand side to allow access to a loop to attach a security chain / lock. Its possible that this would also fit an earlier model without the loop.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
I'm guessing it's an 11 too.
If you can buy new, as per John Heath above that is what I would do. This plastic is old now so may not repair well. Even if it did repair well how much would the adhesives, plastic fillers and paint cost. Not to mention the many hours doing it. But yes I'm sure enough time spent on You Tube Bo..ock. would provide you with the knowledge you would require.
Honda could well of discontinued earlier greys a long time ago.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

Bike
2000 ST1100
What I did on mine was use a soft buffer wheel and buffed out the scratches and gouges. You can still tell if you look closely but it came out ok. If the plastic is broken probably won't work for you.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I see that particular model had a cutaway on the right hand side to allow access to a loop to attach a security chain / lock. Its possible that this would also fit an earlier model without the loop.
I'm fairly certain that this is not correct. The screw hole is in a different place.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Guy's,
Firstly I'm sure I'm not the only one to have damaged crash protector covers that are located on the left and right-hand side of the fairing.
I seem to have a real problem locating them as a spare(Mine are in Grey but Black would be fine).
Failing this, as they are SLIGHTLY damaged can I use some type of filler and then rub them down to paint/ spray?
Any pictures or information would be very helpful!

Yes, SEM Graphite is the perfect color match for the ST1100 gray (Amazon usually carries it).
SEM Products 15303 Graphite Color Coat - 12 fl. oz. (amazon.com)

I would look at Bondo skim coat for filling in the rough spots.

Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty, Fills Pinholes, Scratches, Minor Dings & Hairline Cracks, 16 oz, 1 Tube (amazon.com)

Of course that is assuming you have access to that stuff on your side of the pond.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm fairly certain that this is not correct. The screw hole is in a different place.
Yes it would be - I didn't consider that - I was just thinking of whether the older cover would physically fit. But they may well not fit. I can't remember if there are any retaining clips on the bottom side - and the security loop may stick out too far for the earlier cover.

The first thing I did with both of my ST1300s was remove those screws and replace them with cable ties. I still use sacrificial cable ties. Snip them off and fit a new one each time. They get rusty very quickly on the farm track roads, and the weather of Yorkshire. It's so long ago, I cant remember if I did the same to the 1100. Probably. I certainly never bought new shoulder screws for that.

OP
OP
Which bike ?

Fowlers in the Uk list all 4 covers. Both sides of the ST1100, both sides for the ST1300 are shown as being in stock.
Whether or not they are still available to order when their stock runs out, I don't know.

Ditto David Silver Spares.

I suspect that the same parts fits all models, but I do not know this for certain - you would need to check. I guess yours is an 1100 - Ive never seen grey covers on a 1300, but the 1100 had a number of different shades of greys.

I'd give David Silver Spares a call see if they can advise. The ones I saw just now were for a 2000 model ST1100. cost about £35

But search for other years and models. It might be that the only difference is the colour - which would have a different part number.

I'll mention @Uncle Phil - I think he has one of everything. Bikes, not tip over covers. He may know about interchangeability.

Managed to buy left and right-hand covers, just want some guidance on how to remove an refit the new ones.
I know there is a screw underneath but do they just unclip?

Top Bottom