Helmets Fake Helmet Certification

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm in the middle of binging on pizza and a great TV series so I only skimmed the article and FFWed through the video. This is about crap no-name helmets with counterfeit stickers? Not counterfeit brand-name helmets with counterfeit DOT stickers?

I remember when the former sprang up decades past in the form of "pudding cups" and WWII German soldier helmet lookalikes that were nothing more than some kind of shell with no lining and fake DOT stickers. It's no guarantee but I've always suck with known brands from reliable sellers.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Does a half helmet really need to be DOT certified? They don't provide much protection either way. Plus, if someone wants to bounce their bare noggin off the asphalt, they should be free to do as they will. But, the companies doing this should also be charged with false advertising or something.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I'm in the middle of binging on pizza and a great TV series so I only skimmed the article and FFWed through the video. This is about crap no-name helmets with counterfeit stickers? Not counterfeit brand-name helmets with counterfeit DOT stickers?

I remember when the former sprang up decades past in the form of "pudding cups" and WWII German soldier helmet lookalikes that were nothing more than some kind of shell with no lining and fake DOT stickers. It's no guarantee but I've always suck with known brands from reliable sellers.
We had a local Unohoo dealership that was selling these barely-there helmets. German style plastic hats, 'Protect 'em If You Have Them' half lids, and several cheaply made injection molded helmets (injection site was obvious, right at the top of the shell), Once DOT certifications were enforced here, they would add a DOT sticker to the backside of the lid whenever they sold one. Kept a box full of stickers near the register.
I've been using Snell certified helmets since the 60's, recently ('recent' for old guys) some EU certified helmets since their requirements seem more than just adequate.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Does a half helmet really need to be DOT certified? They don't provide much protection either way. Plus, if someone wants to bounce their bare noggin off the asphalt, they should be free to do as they will. But, the companies doing this should also be charged with false advertising or something.
Some local bike cops use the half helmets still. Most use fully certified 3/4 helmets. I haven't seen any wearing modular helmets. The ability to communicate with drivers takes precedence over better protection I suppose.

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
If the price is too good to be true... it's probably too good to be true. I'm a cheap (frugal) b-tard, but I always buy helmets from known online motorcycle stores. I know what brand/size fits me well and always buy when on sale at the end of the riding season. Reminds me that I will need to buy next fall as I am hitting the 5 year smell test on the current lid. Ebay is notorious for knock-offs and you have to look closely at some of the Amazon sellers as well.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
We had a local Unohoo dealership that was selling these barely-there helmets. German style plastic hats, 'Protect 'em If You Have Them' half lids, and several cheaply made injection molded helmets (injection site was obvious, right at the top of the shell), Once DOT certifications were enforced here, they would add a DOT sticker to the backside of the lid whenever they sold one. Kept a box full of stickers near the register.
I've been using Snell certified helmets since the 60's, recently ('recent' for old guys) some EU certified helmets since their requirements seem more than just adequate.
The fine is $5,000 per bogus DOT helmet “introduced” into the USA. Doesn’t even have to be sold, just manufactured or imported. Any shop holding DOT stickers in a drawer near the register is taking a huge financial risk for whatever profit is in a $50 helmet.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The fine is $5,000 per bogus DOT helmet “introduced” into the USA. Doesn’t even have to be sold, just manufactured or imported. Any shop holding DOT stickers in a drawer near the register is taking a huge financial risk for whatever profit is in a $50 helmet.
Probably about $45 profit.

Top Bottom