Favorite Farkles - Middleton Handbrake (and LeverSkins)

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Hello ST(1100)-Owners.

I took some pictures the other day of some of my favorite farkles.

Here's a great one: my Middleton Handbrake!

This little jewel was manufactured by Dave Middleton of Batley, West Yorkshire, UK. More properly called a parking brake, I suppose. I got mine in early 2001 during a small ST1100 mailing LiST group buy through Paul Pennycook, STOC 2319.

With your ST1100 in neutral, just squeeze the front brake lever, flip the Middleton Handbrake's lever up with your forefinger, and let go of the front brake lever....

PRESTO! Your ST's front brake is engaged!

Here's an excerpt from my farkle report poST to the old ST-Riders LiST back in '01 which still reflects my opinion on this wonderful little product:

------------------------------------------------------------
[15 June 2001] <snip>
... this is one slick little product. For a leg-length challenged STrider like myself this thing is great.

Wanna stop for a moment and flip the map, change gloves, blow your nose... whatever, needing both hands? Don't want to shut the engine off... put the kickstand down on lousy or sloping ground? Can't hold the ST up with your left leg while rear wheel braking with the right?!?! This thing is the answer!

Put the ST in neutral, flip on the handbrake and do what you need to with both feet (balls of the feet in my case) on the ground. Then squeeze the front brake and the handbrake snaps off. Man, ALL bikes ought to come with these!

The Middleton Handbrake is designed specifically for the ST out of high quality, stainless steel parts/stock. It took me ~60 seconds to install it and has worked flawlessly ever since. The beST $27 I've spent on the GhOOST... worth every penny, IMO. And I'd sure be hesitant to try to fabricate an exact copy to those tolerances, find the correct strength release spring, etc. myself. <snip>
------------------------------------------------------------

I've now got over 60K with this farkle and I've not had to do a thing to it since day one. No further, periodic adjustment... nothing. Works perfectly every time and believe me, I use it all the time. When I first bought it, I thought that was a lot of money for such a simple item. Then I saw the workmanship and all this time later consider this little beauty the best 'bang for buck' I ever spent on The Grey GhOOST!

Also shown in the pictures is another nice farkle I have on all our bikes' brake and clutch levers: LeverSkins. A great product, especially for those of us with small hands.

Regards, John

Bike
2000 ST1100PY
Looks like the clutch lock for an AG bike just mirror image. Good Idea though. If you get a matching one for the clutch lever, you dont even need to put the bike in Neutral, just lock both levers in place!

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Re: ST1300?

Do you know if he makes this for the ST1300? And if so, how do we get in touch with him?
I bought one a couple of years ago or so on a group buy on Steinar's site. Mr. Middleton made a special production run just for the group buy. At the time they were all for 1100's IIRC so I don't know if they would work on a 1300 or not. As for inquiries, looks like he can be contacted through his website. http://stainlessmiddleton.co.uk/index.php

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
There's no Middleton brake for the ST1300. He made one prototype and wasn't satisfied with it. I had Middletons on my preceding ST1100s and miss having one on my ST1300.

This was the prototype.

The main problem with the ST1300 seems to be that the throttle cable elbows are right in the way.

Attachments

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Reviving this thread because I have some Middleton handbrakes for sale in the classified section.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The last batch Mr. Middleton made (in the UK) was quite a while ago and he indicated it would be his last. Maybe you can find someone that has sold their ST1100 and kept the brake. I have them on all three of my ST1100s and they are handier than a pocket on a shirt! ;-)

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Dang, I want one! I tried leaning on my left while braking with the right... Didn't like that at all. Better to just park, IMHO. But that device would be awesome.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

STurgisSTeele

Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Here's Tony's eBay to order:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/231296293907

[maybe take the "m." out of the URL if you're not on a smartphone]

Tony (Worrall) is (was?) a member here but darned if I can find his screen name.

John
via iPhone 4S
Yep, found that earlier. I've been buying a lot lately so it'll have to wait a while. But I bookmarked his site and can always find again on eBay.

STurgisSTeele

Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Top Bottom