Filling Rear Shock - A New Record ?

Dang, your bikes sure get crudded up over there due to all the salt and stuff on your roads! :eek:

ClutchSlave-s.jpg

Here is the rear of my 2010 with over 50K on it. When I go to replace the shock, in the next few months, I'll have to take a picture of the shock area. No crud! :cool:

I’m saying I didn’t have to disturb the battery box at all, nor fender or subframe (after the first time during which I reversed orientation of the lower bolt).

Yes, your winter roads are very corrosive. Frightening.

Wow! I guess I never really appreciated how much the environment plays a role in the "health" of a bike. We live in a cold climate and there is salt, etc on the roads but my bikes do not look anything like that when it comes to rust and corrosion. Probably due to the fact that once winter arrives, we put the bikes to bed until spring. The trade off I suppose of an extended riding season.

Exactly what I thought. That thing is rusted/corroded up bad!
In North America:
The term Salt Belt or Rust Belt refers to states, in the United States, in which large quantities of salt are applied to roads during the winter season to control snow and ice. States in the salt belt, rust belt include Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Washington DC.
Other states such as Colorado and Utah are also considered part of the Salt Belt but use less corrosive substances.
Most Canadian provinces fall under the rust belt too.
The Rust Belt

Road salt is a common cause for corrosion of automobile parts, and cars in the rust/salt belt often experience more
corrosion of automobile parts, and cars in the salt belt often experience more rapid rusting compared to other regions of the country rendering them unsafe as brake lines, electrical wiring, and structural components are adversely affected. Manufacturer recalls for corrosion issues often target only vehicles operated within salt belt states.

Back
Top Bottom