Final drive fluid change

Bike
2005 ST1300
Hi all. It's time for me to change the oil on my bike. I have found a few very good videos on YouTube for changing the engine oil, but I can't find any videos for how to change the final drive oil. Anyone have one they can share? Also, without opening a can of worms, what type of oil/fluid do I need to purchase for the final drive? (I already have the engine oil and filter and do NOT want to open that can of worms!)

Thanks

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
An upgrade on the oil would be to use a full synthetic hypoid oil in the rear drive. Same for the engine oil too, of course.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Step #1 Remove the fill plug on side of the final drive gear housing
Step #2 Remove the drain plug on the bottom of the final drive gear housing
Step #3 Let the old fluid drain (I also add some new fluid to help "rinse", it takes so little it's worth it)
Step #4 Install drain plug
Step #5 Add new fluid in fill hole until it comes out
Step #6 Install fill plug

Go ride.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
When finishing up and installing the fill plug use very little force to tighten it. The O ring seal is supposed to be replaced each change of 24,000 miles because it deforms over time and when the cap is tightened with an old O ring the cap goes metal to metal instantly and there is little ‘feel' for the correct 9 ft/lbs. People crack these quite often.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Step #1 Remove the fill plug on side of the final drive gear housing
Step #2 Remove the drain plug on the bottom of the final drive gear housing
Step #3 Let the old fluid drain (I also add some new fluid to help "rinse", it takes so little it's worth it)
Step #4 Install drain plug
Step #5 Add new fluid in fill hole until it comes out
Step #6 Install fill plug

Go ride.
On the centrestand so the bike is level and preferably after a ride so the oil is warm and drains better.

Bike
2010 ST1300
An upgrade on the oil would be to use a full synthetic hypoid oil in the rear drive. Same for the engine oil too, of course.
Well, not hypoid earl in the crankcase - only final drive.

And Morrissey will have to open that can of worms to get the oil out of the can. No worms in the final drive, though.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Ya what they said. I use Honda regular Hypoid Gear Oil 80w90
Ever thought of trying synthetic in there? You might be surprised by how clean the magnet in the drain bolt stays.

Hypoid gears are sort of like a meat slicing machine, with the edge of one tooth shearing past the face of another, somewhat different from the action in the splines in the final drive.

I noticed a full load of extremely fine metal particles in my '95's magnet decades ago and switched to a synthetic hypoid after three changes and 75,000 km, and still seeing metal residue. Next change I found the magnet virtually as clean as it was after its last cleaning. Convinced me that synthetic hypoid protects better than dino.

FWIW to those that care.

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
Ever thought of trying synthetic in there? You might be surprised by how clean the magnet in the drain bolt stays.

Hypoid gears are sort of like a meat slicing machine, with the edge of one tooth shearing past the face of another, somewhat different from the action in the splines in the final drive.

I noticed a full load of extremely fine metal particles in my '95's magnet decades ago and switched to a synthetic hypoid after three changes and 75,000 km, and still seeing metal residue. Next change I found the magnet virtually as clean as it was after its last cleaning. Convinced me that synthetic hypoid protects better than dino.

FWIW to those that care.
synthetic gear oil is better, Dodge Trucks increased their towing capacity just by using synthetic. I have used gl 75/140, a bit overkill, and now use 75/90 synthetic, exceeds gl4, gl5 rating.https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/mobil1-synthetic-gear-lubricant-ls-75w-90-1-quart-104361-98w573/7070039-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=7070039-P&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=Cj0KCQjw77TbBRDtARIsAC4l83kVc0gBjD5Bt1F2WeQOcg4nB5Re9EE_vZg0C4VpAoZqEaxx8Q1m0ioaAj9zEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bike
2000 ST1100
My fluid change ritual is similar to the rest of you guys except I use Honda products only. Honda 80W 90 hypoid gear oil. Honda OEM oil filter and GN4 10W 40. Honda brake fluid. Air filter etc. This is just me but so far so good.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
My fluid change ritual is similar to the rest of you guys except I use Honda products only. Honda 80W 90 hypoid gear oil. Honda OEM oil filter and GN4 10W 40. Honda brake fluid. Air filter etc. This is just me but so far so good.
Nothing wrong with what your doing, and I'm sure the Honda dealerships love you, but you do know that Honda does not make ANY of those products right :rolleyes:
They just provide specs, and buy from the lowest bid, which changes all the time.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Nothing wrong with what your doing, and I'm sure the Honda dealerships love you, but you do know that Honda does not make ANY of those products right :rolleyes:
They just provide specs, and buy from the lowest bid, which changes all the time.
Yeah I know. I had the privilege of paying $28.00 recently for a headlight bulb. O.E.M. Honda made in BRAZIL. But I did not mind....one headlight bulb in 18 years yeah i'm fine with it. Also use those Bridgestone G548 and G547 tires getting as much as 18K out of those too. Handling is as sure at the beginning life of the tire to the end. Trust me I don't like paying those prices but i'm one of the ones that when I go cheap it costs me twice as much.

Bike
2010 ST1300

FWIW to those that care.
I would have to guess that the initial load of shavings came from break in and/or sloppy cleaning of new parts. If the gears were eating themselves to the point of dumping steel shavings in the oil for 75K km, I'd think your final drive would not last long. Sure, there is plenty of meat on those gears, but they are not designed to wear down - i.e they are not sacrificial parts. While I don't disagree that synthetic oil lubes better than dino oil (actually I have no factual info one way or the other, just accepting popular 'knowledge') I think changing the oil did not eliminate wear because there was really no shaving producing wear going on for a long time. (My opinion only.)

Top Bottom