SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
How did you get the gas out?

Seeing Trosty's issue with his Alternator, made me think of the time I still had gas in my tank, but needed to remove the tank. So, that question popped into my head and thought I would ask others how they did it.

Usually if I know my tank is coming off (like the last two times I had it off), I will schedule my gas stops so when I'm heading home from work, I'm running on the downside of the tank. This means I'm into the reserve before hitting home and there will be no gas left in the upper tank when I start on it.

Once I wasn't so lucky, :think1: but I happened to have some clear tubing and a "boat primer bulb pump", (bought from Walmart a while ago). With those two items and a 2.5 gallon gas can (only had a little over three gallons in the bike.) I was able to manipulate the clear hose down to the lower tank and get all that I needed out.

SeaSense-All-N-One-Primer-Bulb-

Haven't had to drain the ST yet , but have on boats with in board tanks. I just use a cheap electric low pressure fuel pump .. hook it up to the battery .. Can pick up at the autostore for about $20.00 ... was looking at your link and it showed it for $27 just for the primer bulb..

I use a primer bulb purchased at Wally World, with a few feet of fuel line on each end. It works fast and no electricity involved.

Speaking of removing the gas tank, can someone tell me if you have to remove the top main gas tank to install the Rostra electronic cruise control?

If there is fuel in the upper tank, you can connect a hose at this point and it will self-siphon all the way to the bottom of the lower tank.

Attachments

• nctrip 018.jpg
    nctrip 018.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 42
Got a siphon hose, with bulb, from Harbor Freight for about $5.00. Worked well when I replaced my FPR.

Back
Top Bottom