Fork Maintenance

Bike
2004 ST1300
Found my fork dust seals cracked and needing replacement, so my 20 year old new to me ST with no service history was treated to new seals (all) fluid and a fork brace.
Made a small tool for setting the air gap in the fork tube.
Made filling a breeze.
Thought I’d share.

Now just waiting for some good weather to get her insured and on the road again.

Attachments

Grand .... and I hope you checked the needle roller bearing at LH Caliper ... and it was in better condition than mine ??

Mine was knackered (Irish term for unwell) , but the size is "odd" (14x20x20mm) and not easily found ... SO ?? , I have ordered two bearings of half the width , and will press those in - instead !! (Total of £3 spend vs the £30 odd that I saw the proper item advertised at) Yes , I will loose a little bit of contact length due to having two outer casings .... but it will be just fine !!

OP
OP
Rob20111
Bike
2004 ST1300
Grand .... and I hope you checked the needle roller bearing at LH Caliper ... and it was in better condition than mine ??

Mine was knackered (Irish term for unwell) , but the size is "odd" (14x20x20mm) and not easily found ... SO ?? , I have ordered two bearings of half the width , and will press those in - instead !! (Total of £3 spend vs the £30 odd that I saw the proper item advertised at) Yes , I will loose a little bit of contact length due to having two outer casings .... but it will be just fine !!
Yes, sleeves removed and cleaned, and all re greased.
Bike only has 10K miles on it.

Did same thing only used vacuum pump and made jar for excess fluid. Like yours better. Doesn't take up much space when finished

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Found my fork dust seals cracked and needing replacement, so my 20 year old new to me ST with no service history was treated to new seals (all) fluid and a fork brace.
Made a small tool for setting the air gap in the fork tube.
Made filling a breeze.
Thought I’d share.

Now just waiting for some good weather to get her insured and on the road again.
Welcome Rob!

The ST1300 has a few excentricities, and the front forks and axel are one of them. Others have used fork braces with less than desirable results.

Although the Honda SM doesn't address this, please know that following the SM fork install instructions may not produce the desired results when you reinstall the axel and wheel. I learned from a fellow forum member @Igofar that there is a method to align the forks, so the axel is true and the ST won't pull to one side or the other. It will also prevent uneven tire wear, which I had been experiencing for years before I learned this trick.

A link to Larry's description of the process follows:

It does take some time an effort, but I cannot argue with the results. It solved my front end problems and it's something the dealer won't or doesn't know to do.

Chris

Top Bottom