FortNine on plugging tires

I've always trimmed mine leaving about 1/4" out which smooshes flat and helps seal (in my mind) and then wears away with the tire over the miles

I was nervous that it would still hold so used some glue even though it is not required per instructions .
I'm sometimes a belt and suspenders gui and occasionally give a nod to the I'd Be Concerned That... crowd so I gooped up the worms anyway (three different occasions/three different tires). I've never had to ride immediately after a repair and so had the benefit of a few hours to overnight for the goop to set (if it does). But unless NHTSA or Ryan show how this causes a fiery death I'll keep doing it.

Nice to see that 8yo worms still work so thanks for that tidbit! :D

You don't have to cut the excess. It will fall off in few miles. My experience
Hm. Interesting. I thought Ryan F9 mentioned he didn't and a plug got pushed in resulting in a flat. I've trimmed them and the goop has always had some time to set (if it does) and there's been no issues.

Besides as someone once said (Ben Franklin I believe) "I'd rather trim the plug and be wrong than not trim it and be wrong." :D

I recall that many people used to set fire to the protruding part and let it burn down to the tire. I've no idea if that provided any benefit but that would probably get a person arrested by the environmental police these days.

My only personal experience is with Gummy worms in my trailer tire. Works great. I carry them now. I was on a group ride one time and we tired the mushroom plug and worms. I can't recall which we ended up having in the tire. I think we started with worms and ended with mushroom. In any case, I believe it kept leaking. There may have been too many cooks on that one and the fact we rode very soon after the repair was made.

Centrifugal force won't let the plug to get inside, and the "knot" inside won't let it fly out thru the hole (unless of course the holes is much wider).
Strange the thing that trigger "rememberies."

"Why do cemeteries have walls?
It's queer without a doubt.
The people outside don't want to get in.
And the people inside surely can't get out."

Benny Hill

Back
Top Bottom