Frame mounted fairing vs. Fork mounted

Bike
2005 ST1300
I thought this question would be easily answered and just take some common sense and logic. Pretty much a slam dunk in my mind. But apparently not in others.

So here is my question.... Given similar motorcycles and wind conditions wouldn't a frame mounted fairing be more
stable/better handling than a fork mounted fairing?

I have owned both types and felt the frame mounted was superior.

Appreciate input from those that have ridden both types.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Only real tank slapper I ever had was at 90 mph caused by a handlebar fairing....long time ago....switched to a Vetter Windjammer(frame mount) and never had it happen again.........I never woulda considered a handlebar fairing after that...............ff

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had a 83 650 nighthawk with a Vetter Rooster fairing that caused me a scary frontend wobble at 100mph. After keeping it down below 85mph after that and 4 years later, I had the same wobble at 85mph, got it slowed down to 65mph, only it went lock to lock that time and I couldn't recover. I hit the ground at 65mph!

I decided I didn't like large windshields or fairings attached to the handlebars.

Bike
Busa V-Rod S3
I have a handlebar mounted batwing fairing on my V-Rod and have had no issues with it at any speed. On long rides it does the job nicely. The fairings on my Hayabusa are frame mounted and are rock solid at triple digits. I like them both is my answer.

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I've ridden/ owned Harley's, Goldwing and ST1300 with frame or fork mounted. By far the frame mounted was less affected by wind. Wind on fork mounted fairing give steering inputs, frame mounted can still get pushed around by wind, but no direct steering input. Ride a Electra Glide then a Road Glide back to back on the same windy day and you will see the difference. Many of my buddy's that ride Electra Glides said no way....until they switched and took a turn on the Road Glide another guy was riding..they were stunned at the difference.

Btw, I could live with either, but answering the question asked.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've had two bikes with handlebar mounted fairings: my '77 'Wing with a National Cycle windscreen (later swapped out for a Vetter Windjammer) and my '85 V-65 Sabre with a Rifle fairing/windscreen.

I didn't have a problem at any speed with either but I could feel wind input from the handlebar fairings mostly from strong cross winds. I think it's safe to generalize that a fork/handlebar mounted fairing will be less stable that a frame mounted version.

The size and shape as well as the particular bike will all effect the total affect.

OP
OP
Sportznut
Bike
2005 ST1300
I've had two bikes with handlebar mounted fairings: my '77 'Wing with a National Cycle windscreen (later swapped out for a Vetter Windjammer) and my '85 V-65 Sabre with a Rifle fairing/windscreen.

I didn't have a problem at any speed with either but I could feel wind input from the handlebar fairings mostly from strong cross winds. I think it's safe to generalize that a fork/handlebar mounted fairing will be less stable that a frame mounted version.

The size and shape as well as the particular bike will all effect the total affect.
I think this sums up my thoughts as well. Fork mounted windshield is worst, then fork mounted fairing (not bad), then frame mounted fairing (best IMHO).

Bike
2006 ST1300
Most bikes with fork mounted windshields or fairings are bikes that aren't built for speed- either large cruisers, or small econo commuter bikes. I think that says something. I've ridden both, and if kept at lower speeds, a windshield or fairing mounted to the bars doesn't seem bad. At higher speeds I've felt some shake from wind.

Funny, even my KLR had a frame mounted fairing!

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
My experience with both date from the 70s and 80's and may be more attributable to the design of the bikes than the fairing, but here goes. I had a '71 Honda CB750 with some kind of bat wing shaped handlebar fairing and it did affect handling--especially at high speed and in the wind. You could feel input in the bars from the fairing. Nothing outrageous, but it was there. There was surprising little buffeting from the fairing. Then, I had a 1980 CB750 with a Vetter Quicksilver frame mounted fairing. It was a smaller fairing designed for sub 500 CC bikes, but it fit the CB750 too. I never felt it affected the handling at all and it provided a very stable pocket of quiet air.

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
I have never had a problem with either type of fairing. It makes sense that frame mounted would be better.

Top Bottom