Front brakes leaking

Bike
'05 1300 in Red
Hello all, this is my first posting on the ST owners website. I've had my bike for almost 2 years now and have put 10,000 mi on it. I own an '05 in red with 62,000 MI. My front brakes started fading and I've noticed that I'm blowing fluid out of the front caliper area perhaps the master cylinder on the right side if you're sitting on the bike. Anyone have any advice as to if I need a rebuild or a whole new master cylinder? my fix for now has been to use mostly the rear brakes LOL as my riding habits are a long highway commute with no stop lights.

Bike
2006 ST1300 basic bl
Nevadagnome,

First, WELCOME to the fracus!!

Second, the "master cylinder" is on the handlebars (front brake) and the "slave cylinders" are in the calipers on the brake disc (wheel). Assuming you mean the leak is somewhere around the caliper slave (front-wheel right-side caliper), there are maybe three prime sources of a leak to look at.

The ST1300 has a very unusual and complicated "linked" braking system where the braking force on the rear caliper, and on the left front caliper, will apply hydraulic pressure to the other, front or rear braking system. That's why there are three brake lines to the front left caliper and rear caliper. But your front right caliper is leaking which makes this easier.

1. You may have a leak in the flexible "rubber" brake line above the caliper that is running down the line to the caliper. These older "black rubber" lines are a well known problem. DOT4 brake fluid attacks paint and plastics (wipe off all spills immediately with a wet rag and wash the area with water if you don't want permanent damage) including the "rubber" brake lines. At about 15 years old they begin to fail. Sometimes it weeps, sometimes it swells the line, sometimes it clogs the ports and passages in the caliper with decomposing bits of "rubber" from the inside of the brake line. The only solution is to replace ALL the flexible brake lines on the bike with Galfer or Spiegler PTFE lines (braided SS). You will need to do this at some point anyway.

2. You might have a leaking slave cyl seal. It is usually the aluminum cyl wall that corrodes and lets the seal leak. Replace the caliper.

3. You might have a leaking fitting, a banjo seal, or the bleed nipple not seating. If the brakes have been serviced recently this might be the problem.

To find out exactly where the leak is, wash the bike thoroughly, especially around the front caliper, then without using either brake, let the bike dry thoroughly. Then apply the front brake sitting still, starting with light pressure, and looking very carefully for any signs of the leak. If the leak is very small it may take a few minutes of pressure to see the leak. Verify it by washing that area again and blow-drying the area thoroughly, then re-doing the pressure test.

Let us know what you find.

You'll want a Haynes manual for the ST (eBay) even if all you do is drive it. Lots of info there. Clymer is better but they don't have one for the 1300.

And post some pics. No pics means it didn't happen. :):):)

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You may also want to inspect your fork seals. Reach up and see if the tubes are wet. It may be fork oil leaking down on to the brake caliper area.
As far as brake issues, you probably have those as well. Your PCV may be leaking (see if there were any recalls on your bike via the VIN number).
Anytime your brakes start fading or acting up, you'll want to completely inspect all the components, and do a function test on the secondary master cylinder unit.
When/If these units fail it can completely lock the rear wheel up and either strand you somewhere, or cause an accident or worse.
Standing by the :WCP1: if needed.

Bike
2010 ST1300
After you wash/clean and dry the suspected leak area, lightly dust it with talcum powder. This will make leaks easily visible. What brand talcum? That's fodder for another thread, but J & J may cause cancer on your bike. :rofl1:

CELarson

Looking forward to my next ride....
Site Supporter
I agree with Igofar. I have an 04 and the fork seal was leaking and it was dripping on the brake looking like a brake leak. Compress the shocks and see if fluid comes out or lift up the dust seal to see if their is fluid on top of the top seal.

Then look at the brake and make sure that they are good.

Cheers,

Craig

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
If your brake lever and brake pedal are not getting softer then the leak is not brake fluid - cos if fluid is getting out, then air must be getting in and it only takes a little air to make the pedal and lever softer. (By 'softer' I mean that they require more movement or pumping before the brakes feel as though they are working).

OP
OP
Nevadagnome
Bike
'05 1300 in Red
Wow, thank you for all the advice! I will dig in with my gifted knowledge and let you all know. Thank you all

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Welcome from WA STate!! You will find all your answers on this site...!! T

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Any update?
Your front brakes are probably not fading, but covered with oil.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Echo Igofar above. Historically this is much more likely to be a fork seal leak than a brake fluid leak. Note also that the PCV, though there was a recall for it leaking, is located on the upper right frame rail, under the faring, no where near the front caliper. By all means eliminate that possibility first. When you say you've noticed fluid blowing out do you mean that you've noticed the area is wet or that you've actually seen fluid movement (actively running, dripping squirting. etc..) outside the system?

Top Bottom