Front fork oil change

So after a year of getting ready, I finally changed the front fork fluid as per everyone's instructions (and the manual). The ride is better but I think it is still too stiff. As an example, on the previous BMW I owned, if I would chop the throttle the nose would dive. The ST has never done that. It stays pretty level. So is it normal or did the previous owner (who was about 80 lbs heavier than I am) put in a heavier spring? Just want the front end to so a little better job of absorbing bumps on the road than I think it is doing now.
Did you happen to notice any numbers printed on the springs when you had them out? What oil did you put in (brand and stated weight)? What level did you set the oil to?
If the PO put in springs to accommodate his weight and he is 80lbs heavier, Your bike will ride stiff.

Put 10 weight oil at the 62mm mark. Didn't see any markings on the springs so really have no idea. Just trying to get a feel if other 1300s ride about the same I guess.

Put 10 weight oil at the 62mm mark. Didn't see any markings on the springs so really have no idea. Just trying to get a feel if other 1300s ride about the same I guess.

I got some good advice on here and went with 7wt and made a longer spacer to get more preload and give the shock more travel now, instead of being almost bottomed out with me on it and the bikes weight. Thanks dduelin! :)

Just curious if you happen to notice if the springs where progressive or straight wound. Progressive have closer spaced coils at one end, while straight are wound the same. The ST came with progressive wound springs standard. If they're straight rate, then they are aftermarket and there should be a number etched on the flat end of the spring.

Back
Top Bottom