FTM-10R

Bike
2010 ST1300 AA
STOC #
Any radio amateur riders out there have any experience with the Yaesu FTM-10r and interfacing it with a Sena SM10? Methinks my radio is dun broke. I can't get the speaker in the control head to work no matter what setting I have the menu selection set for. The internal speaker works as does the external 3.5mm jack on the rear of the body. I've verified that the "mic" jack on the rear of the radio has RX audio present. My issue is that I'd like to use the mic jack on the control head to interface to the Sena BT unit. I have PTT and transmit audio working fine, just no RX audio at the MEK jack. I have found one other posting from a ham that had the same problem but the thread died without an answer.
The schematic shows multiple active electronic components in multiple audio paths like Bluetooth etc, so it's gonna be interesting to T/S. I've emailed Yaesu tech support asking if there are any common failures for the front speaker.... I'm not holding my breath for that response..... It looks to me that whatever the issue is, it's common to the control head speaker AND the MEK mic jack RX audio path.
If anyone has any FTM-10r experience, I'd be thankful to hear of them.....

Michael
K2MPW

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Hi Michael, I’m not an amateur radio guy but I do have a lot of experience in the electronics industry. Hopefully I can still help.

After reviewing the documentation on the Yaesu FTM-10r web page, I have a couple of questions to confirm some details.

To start with, if I understand correctly, you have the Yaesu FTM-10r and the accessory MEK-M10 jack accessory. Is this correct?

Have you checked to see that the MEK-M10 ribbon connector is correctly installed, per pages 102 and 103 of the owners manual?

Do you also have the CT-M11 accessory cable?

G

OP
OP
k2mpw
Bike
2010 ST1300 AA
STOC #
The MEK-M10 Jack works as it should when the hand held mic is connected so I have to guess that it's installed correctly. What started this was the connection of the CT-M11 cable to the Sena SC-AO116 cable. I've been able to make the cable play when using the rear body "MIC" jack (same physical connector as the control head). All that is great but doesn't get me to my happy place. I'd have to run two cables from the rear to the console.... not happening...
I'm thinking that a TDA2822D amp surface mount amp chip may have gone poof. Reasoning is that there isn't one single audio path. The audio is split to a left and a right besides paths for the rear speaker, front speaker and Bluetooth unit. Only one IC "Q1611" is common to both the control head speaker AND the MEK mic jack. I just cringe at the thought of digging into this itsey bitsey tiny radio!

TNX
Michael

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
You’re clearly an advanced electronics guy if you’ve identified a possible component culprit at the schematic level! :)

Assuming I’m not missing something, when you hook up the handheld mic, all is well but when you connect the CT-M11 and SC-AO116 combo to the MEK-M10, you aren’t getting any audio. Correct?

If I’m reading this correctly, the two cables should be connected like this:

1. CT-M11 pins #3 Brown and #7 Black are connected to SC-AO116 pin #1 Red
  2. CT-M11 pin #6 Red is connected to SC-AO116 pin #6 Black

Is that correct? Have you toned the connections out to make sure there’s no mechanical issue(s)?

G

OP
OP
k2mpw
Bike
2010 ST1300 AA
STOC #
Advanced? Well... 35 years as an electronics tech gives me some knowledge but every new toy presents a whole new set of problems.....
As for mechanical connections, they have all been rung out and proven to be good. The cable assembly works as it should when connected to the ass end of the radio instead of the control head. The issue I'm dealing with is the fact that I can't get RX audio out of the control head. I have two heads and two sets of cables to connect the head to the radio. All the features of the radio function fine with the exception getting RX audio out of the control head speaker OR the MEK mic jack on the head.
From my original post, I have found one other posting on the web with the same issue but it was a dead end 'cause the resolution was never posted. That's why I thought to post it here.... My grand plan is get into the radio this weekend and see what I will find....

Thanks
Michael

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
I’ve got 42 years in the game so I’m with you regarding new toys presenting new challenges. Hence my questions. If you got two heads and two cables and the same outcome then I’m feeling you’re right that it’s an issue with that amp.

Sorry I can’t help.

OP
OP
k2mpw
Bike
2010 ST1300 AA
STOC #
Thanks for the attempt! This weekend I will fire up my jewelers magnifier and scope! It's getting harder and to work on this stuff! But nothing ventured nothing gained! At a minimum if I can't replace a bad part, I may be able to tie the rear jack on the head.. I will probably take a few pics and create a web page on the attempt, just in case someone else has a similar issue.... they can see what I went through...

Michael

Top Bottom