Fuel leaking

2003 ST1300. Bike has been sitting in garage for the last 10 years . With a new battery and fluids, I was surprised at how great the bike runs. Here's my problem. When I turn the engine off, I have fuel leaking out of one of the 2 hoses that come out of the overflow or vent hose that comes out of the bottom of the bike. It's only when I turn off the bike. Any ideas?

Bike
2010 ST1300
A 20 year old bike that has been sitting for 10 years deserves a complete going over. That said, have you popped the tank cap when shutting down the bike to see if pressure is building up in the tank? Does it matter how long you run the bike before shutting down and experiencing the leakage?

Go to the blue band at the top of this page, click on Articles > ST1300 > Maint. items for your new old bike.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
There is a metal tube that runs from the overflow area around the fuel tank filler opening through the upper fuel tank and exits at the bottom of the tank. A rubber hose connects to that tube and exits at the bottom of the engine. This is a drain to drain away any fuel/water that gets in to the area around the fuel tank opening.

This metal tube might have rusted through. A few people have had this happen. Fuel from inside the tank is getting in to the tube and draining out the bottom. if that is the case, replacing the upper tank is the easiest repair.
The part that doesn't make sense is that it only happens when you turn the engine off. Maybe it is happening all the time and you only notice it then?

Bike
2010 ST1300
The part that doesn't make sense is that it only happens when you turn the engine off. Maybe it is happening all the time and you only notice it then?
I was wondering about that, but figured he did not see fuel leaking when he stopped w/ the engine running - like at a stop light. Your point about the steel drain tube rusting out seems most likely.

Top Bottom