Fuel pump shutoff relay not receiving power from bank angle relay.

My bank angle relay and bank angle sensor are operating correctly 12 V is leaving "Bar" the relay but not getting to the fuel shut off relay. I'm tracing the black with white stripe thru the harness at some point they connect according to the schematic. Does anyone know where the intersect?
It would save me from pulling apart my whole harness.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes. There is a connection buss taped into the wire harness under the rider seat close to the rear of the lower tank. search the no fuel pump topic as this has happened before. The buss shows on the 1300PA wiring diagram but not on the Standard or deluxe diagrams. Try this link Won’t start

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stringbean
Yes. There is a connection buss taped into the wire harness under the rider seat close to the rear of the lower tank. search the no fuel pump topic as this has happened before. The buss shows on the 1300PA wiring diagram but not on the Standard or deluxe diagrams. Try this link Won’t start
Thanks for this information. My motorcycle is 2011 st1300pa and this describes the problem perfectly

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
There are a lot of Black / White wires in that connector that are joined together. The Bk/white wires typically provide power for various components. I haven't studied it closely, but I would imagine that one of the thicker gauge wires is the one that provides the power. The others redistribute it.

The melting body suggests too much heat being generated by one of the terminals - ie too much current passing through it. This may be due to corrosion / higher resistance, but it is also possible that a previous owner has tapped into power from one or more of bk/wh leads, not considering the total current that has to pass through just one of those terminals.

Bottom line - check what extras have been fitted, and where they are getting their power from.

NB this may also apply to a similar connector that connects the earth wires together.

The power for this connector seems to come from the 20A fuse labelled FI-Ignition Coils-Fuel Pump, and is turned on by the bank angle sensor relay. The same power source feeds a lot of relays and sensors and other devices such as the PAIR solenoid. I doubt that there is much spare capacity on the wiring, fuse or the terminals in that connector.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stringbean
I have located the yellow bus connection and it is charred. So that appears to be the problem now how to fix or replace that connection without removing the whole harness. I assume I can remove the pin receivers from the connector one at a time until the whole yellow wire retention connector is out then order/find a replacement. Any leads or advice would be greatly appreciated. Any one know the part number for this connector

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
In my opinion this buss connection is a weak design. Coupled with improperly installed accessories this circuit is easily overloaded. The plastic connector may be available from mouser.com but the metal buss bar probably not. I would make my own buss from a piece of heavy gauge wire, solder and insulate well. Not likely to fail again that way. Be sure no accessories are wired to the Black/white circuit

OP
OP
Stringbean
In my opinion this buss connection is a weak design. Coupled with improperly installed accessories this circuit is easily overloaded. The plastic connector may be available from mouser.com but the metal buss bar probably not. I would make my own buss from a piece of heavy gauge wire, solder and insulate well. Not likely to fail again that way. Be sure no accessories are wired to the Black/white circuit
Thanks for the advice. I was able to clean the burnt pin and move it to an empty spot on the same connector. It is up and running again thanks to sound advice and experience found here.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well done ! Don't forget to find where any add on devices are getting their power from - or the same could happen again !

Top Bottom