Garmin 660

Bike
BMW K1600GT
After months of going back and forth with this one, I decided to take the plung and get this GPS, replacing my trusty and always reliable Streetpilot 2720. First order of business was to update firmware and software. The installation of the motorcycle mount requires really to hard wire, although one may attach a BMW style plug on the end. There are three cords and a fairly strange arrangement of them. One cord is for output, one is for a mic, one is for an optional traffic receiver. The problem is the way they are arranged, somewhat odd. It made hardwiring a little more involved. It took about 30 mins. Now to the GPS, I have the Samsung Ominia Cell and the Chatterbox Xbi2. The pairing took about 45 secs to do both. The cell is paired to the GPS, which is paired to the XBi2. All work perfectly together. The XBi2 allows music to stream bluetooth in stereo. I turn every thing one before the Xbi2 and have had no problems. Volume is good depending on the level the mp3 was recorded in. The ability to call a POI is great. I loaded mp3's on a mini disk and I have tunes for 600 miles. The size of the screen is great and menus are easy to navigate. For all that I have heard about the problems with this unit, I have experienced none of them. No screen freezing so far and no re-boot.

Things I would change

1. Does not look as durable as Zumo 550. I would hate to drop this unit. Should be rubberized around the ends.
2. No security lock. I would like to attach a cable lock to the unit so I could leave it on bike sometimes.
3. Cable arrangement strange.
4. Battery door, unit will not work without it. It must be removed to access USB port and mini disk. Don't want to loose this.

Harley Davidson dealers have them in stock for 749.00 if you don't want to wait.

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I wish I knew someone local with a 660 so I could demo it. See if it pairs nice with my fickle cell and uber fickle headset.

OP
OP
Bike
BMW K1600GT
Go to your local Harley Dealer, see if they will let you test the one that they keep in the display case. Takes < 1 min to pair two items.

Top Bottom