Givi Monokey - Mounting plate

Hey guys....Just purchased a 2005 ST after selling my Kawa Ninja ZX14 and I am really loving the bike. I am looking for a top case and it seems that process is straight forward. My problem is with what mounting plate works on the ST the best. The case is about 40 liters and I think I have found a plate - GIVI E251 Monokey mounting plate....does that sound right, looking for sole models of mounting plates that this forum is using.

Thanks,

R

I have a monolock style Givi top case and use the Z113 model, which appears to employ the same crosshatched design which allows you to basically line the plate up with the holes on the rear rack and feed the bolts through it. As I recall, the holes in the ST1300’s rack didn’t line up 100% correctly, so I trimmed some plastic off a couple of the crosshatches and bolted it down. Has worked fine for years.

@Robert101 make sure you know exactly what type of case you're planning to buy.

You mentioned looking at a Monokey mounting plate, and a post by a another member recommended a Monolock plate.

Givi sells a Monolock and Monokey series of cases and they and their racks are NOT interchangeable.

The reason he had to modify it to mount on his ST1300 is because to my knowledge Givi doesn't make a Monolock kit specifically for the ST1300, instead they target the Monokey system for our bikes.

Like the other member you can go with a Monolock tailbox, but expect to go through the same effort to mount it. You'll then be restricted to the Monolock product line> Then be prepared to replace it with the Monokey rack should you decide to upgrade to the larger, better built Monokey product line later.

That said, @Lodi and @dduelin pointed you to the correct product.

Last edited:
Cheers for the info here, have pulled the trigger on the Givi E215 base and new top box to replace the no name brand on my 08 ride. Was going around in circles trying to figure it out.

Just upgraded from a ST1100 to a ST1300, kept my Givi Maxia topbox, but am struggling to find the adaptor. I found a seller on eBay with the Givi monokey plate and the adaptor, but nobody seems to sell just the adaptor.

ebay link (and yes, I asked the seller - they won't sell the adaptor separately):

Any hacks, before I go buy the set (and end up with an extra monokey plate)? The ST1100 had two metal shims that attached to the grab rail and bolted on to the monokey plate, and the length was just slightly off what would have fitted on the ST1300 - a similar approach might work with some sort of universal adaptor, but not sure what to look for.

Last edited:
My bike also came with a Maxia3 Monokey setup. I like the room of the box, the extra lights, and such.

My only concern is the amount of movement the box has when I'm on the road. It seems to lock in nice and tight, yet I can wiggle the box and get a fair amount of flex from the bottom of the box. Only think I can think of at this point would be to epoxy/rivet some sort of aluminum plate to the inside bottom of the box to stiffen the plastic and reduce the flexing.

I'm reluctant to make major mods, but it would be nice to tame the shimmy and shake my buddies observe. Anyone have any luck or is it just my "old box?"

I'm reluctant to make major mods, but it would be nice to tame the shimmy and shake my buddies observe. Anyone have any luck or is it just my "old box?"
I have a 45- or 46L Givi, and it locks in firmly but I can tug on it and rock it a little bit with my hand.
Some here have put shims under the bottom to reduce the excess movement; might be as simple as some aptly-folded cardboard, which would not be seen with the case on top of it. I think mine has a little extra room where the rack's two "fingers" slide into the slots on the bottom of the case, so something laid up near the front end of the rack might tighten it up a little -- but it doesn't bother me that much, and I don't carry a lot of weight there.

I have a 45- or 46L Givi, and it locks in firmly but I can tug on it and rock it a little bit with my hand.
Some here have put shims under the bottom to reduce the excess movement; might be as simple as some aptly-folded cardboard, which would not be seen with the case on top of it. I think mine has a little extra room where the rack's two "fingers" slide into the slots on the bottom of the case, so something laid up near the front end of the rack might tighten it up a little -- but it doesn't bother me that much, and I don't carry a lot of weight there.
Yes, it doesn’t bother me that much either. I mainly keep it because my helmet fits in it. Otherwise it’s just gloves and a towel.

My bike also came with a Maxia3 Monokey setup. I like the room of the box, the extra lights, and such.

My only concern is the amount of movement the box has when I'm on the road. It seems to lock in nice and tight, yet I can wiggle the box and get a fair amount of flex from the bottom of the box. Only think I can think of at this point would be to epoxy/rivet some sort of aluminum plate to the inside bottom of the box to stiffen the plastic and reduce the flexing.

I didn't notice any movement when on my ST1100 and I have loaded it as much as I could get away with when on camping trips. I wouldn't expect the base of the box itself to flex enough to be observable - mine certainly didn't. And given the metal plates used to bolt on to the ST1100s grab handle had only one bolt per plate on the grab handle end, I'd have thought that was the weakest link, but it still seemed rock steady. Perhaps a bit of cardboard as @Sadlsor said - any drilling you do to fix an aluminium plate will probably do more harm than good.

I'm going to order the adaptor plate off ebay, if the monokey base they send has a bit of give that might hint at the problem you're facing - luckily for me I have a perfectly rigid monokey base too. Hopefully the adaptor to monokey mount points are the same on both!

Top Bottom