Had trouble bleeding brakes ST1300

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I was following the instructions from MileHigh with service manual as backup. I am using a vacuum type bleeder. The front brakes went smooth, no problem. Removed plastic to get at the Proportional control valve and removed the left hand front brake caliper. Set caliper at what I thought was the correct angle - much like shown in photo - but I could not get it to drain. I tried different angles with the front caliper but no go. The rest went OK until I hit the last bleeder. That would be the rear caliper back bleeder. It would not drain as well. I pumped the foot brake pedal and then it did drain with each pump - I had to keep pumping it until the oil cleared up.

Has anyone has this happen to them?

ps - I did not try to pump the brake pedal when trying to drain the proportional valve because with the caliper off I did not know if the pads would move. I did not have them blocked.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Blocking the pads open in the LF caliper when it is removed and tilted is part of the procedure. That is the longest circuit in the system and most difficult to flush and bleed. It always helps me to pump the rear brake when bleeding the left front through the secondary master cylinder.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I used the Motion Pro one-man bleeder, basically an aluminum check valve. Was able to perform all circuit bleeding by myself and have a firm lever and pedal. Can't beat it!

As for getting the proper angle on the secondary cylinder, if you pivot it up and 'hook' it onto the front of the engine case, it will be at the right angle

Top Bottom