Handlebar size

Bike
1993 ST 1100
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, just consider the source I guess. Anyway, I am ready to purchase some heated grips and have measured the bars at 7/8". However, each end has a sleeve on it making it measure 1" in diameter.

So do I order the 7/8" or the 1" grips?

Thanks for your answers.

Larry

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
7/8" would be the size for the ST. This takes into account the throttle tube on the right bar. The grips will have two slightly different size holes and the larger one goes on the throttle tube.

I don't know anything about a sleeve on the left/clutch bar. IDR on my ST when the BMW grips were added.

OP
OP
Bike
1993 ST 1100
Thank you. I wondered about the sleeve on the clutch end also. Don't know if the PO put it on or not. Guess I should go ahead and cut it off. As it is now, both bar ends have sleeves and measure right at 1".

Guess that's why I had a hard time replacing that side when I put the last set of grips on as well as removing it now.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Some people do that intentionally to add some insulation between the heated grip and the bar so that the bar doesn't suck up all the heat from your heated grips. They install two right side grips or two right side heating elements etc.

OP
OP
Bike
1993 ST 1100
I guess that makes perfect sense. It sure was difficult the last time I put new grips on it.

Thanks Andrew and ST Gui.

Top Bottom