Hankook - Rub or smudge?

Bike
ST1300
I took a series of photos on the Hankook install before putting the fender back on, but after about 30 miles of riding.

I'm going to ask for some consensus from you guys that have been running the Hankook. Look closely at the third and fourth photo. Notice in photo three there doesn't seem to be a lot of clearance on the right side, but there is daylight. The fourth shot is what concerns me.. the grey discoloration. I put my thumb on it and came away with a film that seems to be some moly paste. This spot is about 7 inches long and doesn't appear at any other place on the tire.

I suspect that during the wheel swap a bit of moly may have migrated from the spline area to one simple spot on the tire. What concerns me is how a minor dab gets spread out .... to get into this parking spot I make a very slow right hand turn of about 160 degrees with a bit lean to it...

Going to clean the area well and keep an eye on it. But I'm wondering if any of the Hankook riders have noticed any indication of a rub on that plastic pocket?

Thanks.....

Appending to post. After mounting a new tire I always try to ride hands free for about a 1/4 mile just to get a sense of what kind of balance the bike has with the new shoe ... did that as I came down the road to my driveway and this is the first tire I've had on this bike that made me lean more than a couple of degrees either right or left to stay straight.. In this case I was very much to the left side of the seat/bike centerline ... and still had some drift to the right. Obviously the CT brings a new learning curve.

Attachments

Bike
2006 ST1300
Looking at how its spread out, if I'm seeing what I think I am, it looks like it got there during the install. Did you see any signs of the paste on the swingarm or plastic anywhere?

On mine, the only place that is close is the right side of the swingarm. Even riding 2-up a fair amount, I haven't had any rubbing on the plastic (or anywhere else).

Jim

OP
OP
LeeWonnacott
Bike
ST1300
I spent a few minutes cleaning the tire and found a few drops of moly on the rim itself ... it appears just too much of the past was used on the splines. I'll know for sure after tomorrow - plan is to run about 350 miles ... and I'll just take a real good look at every stop.

Top Bottom