Heat in Fairing Compartments

DWJ Honda

I once had a Gold Wing
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Had an awesome testride on an ST1300 yesterday. Real close to pulling the trigger and buying one. After a 30 minute ride on a 72 degree day I noticed the heat in the 2 fairing compartments was fierce, especially in the deeper one on the left side.

Do you guys actually get use out of that space or does everything just melt? Is there a way to insulate it? I read in MCN that the fairing is designed to keep at least some of the heat away from the rider, and so that adds to how hot it all gets.

Does the heat in that area lessen as the bike gets broken in?

Thanks for any insights!

DWJ

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
They do get warm. I've got my V1, a Sparrow pump and a tire gauge in the left one. In the right I carry a bunch of misc. stuff including my spare glasses, and sometimes a cell. Never had a problem in 3 seasons. Some say venting the inner cowels helps, but I've never felt the need.

I have seen some people mount electronics in the left hand pocket, and honestly I was going to do the same (Autocom, FRS Radio, and iPOD). But now I am not so sure. Some people have been saying it's fine, others say they would never do it.

Anyone have any comments?

Dave...

Dave, I have asked the same question a couple of times with no response. Well, in two weeks I'll have plenty to offer on it. We will be riding through Death Valley, Las Vegas and through the heart of Nevada until we swing a left to Reno. The ride will have plenty of miles in plenty of heat. We'll have a minidisk player in the left pocket hooked up to a J&M unit on the left handlebar. If that setup can take that ride, I believe it can take any ride. I'll post the results on these boards.

Dorian

P.S. Here's a pic from our ride through Death Valley on our GL1800 at around the same time last year. It gets a tad warm.

Attachments

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
STPilot said:
It's supposed to be 90 here this weekend, I'm actually condsidering the burrito in the pocket idea:chef2:

I've done it a few times! - not a Burritto, leftover pasta & sauce. :eat2: It's not steaming hot of course, but pretty good - I'd do it more often if I could just get to the leftovers quicker.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
dond said:
Electronics..No.
Candy bars..No.
Burritos..YES!!

Mine are full of non-heat sensitive STuff.
I agree with dond, don't put your smores in there. The left compartment is good and designed for holding water bottle or cup. It will stay warm. Actually I put a bottle of water in there on the road and leave the top open. It gets lukewarm but still refreshing. :D

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
We just broke 100 here in AZ so I will have more results soon. They found my oil leak so I should be getting the bike on the road next week. (I am headed to Vegas for the weekend on my V-Rod)

I did take two trips one to Cali and one to Vegas with the lower cowls vented and found that the pockets were much cooler than before, so venting in hot areas does yield a benifit.

Top Bottom