HEAT!! is there a fix, or am I just fubar

I've gotta agree with Greg on this one, results vary from individual to individual. On a recent trip to Las Vegas and back that included Death Valley, the Mojave Desert, and Hwy 395 with temps in the high 90's we didn't experience any heat issues with the ST. In fact, the only time heat became oppressive was when we were standing along side of the bike on I-80 waiting for a tow truck to take care of our flat tire.

Its just a mater of what you are used to I expect.

STOC #
heat problems

Not to sound critical of you by anymeans,, I had never noticed this "heat" problem,,,,, untill one day I jumped on my bike and made a quick run downtown wearing my sneakers I usually wear a high top "logger style of boot" after that short stint I felt the heat on my legs.

Just something to think about?

Paul
:04biker:

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Fireball18 said:
I do know that there was some heat shielding in the '04's that the '03's don't have, but there doesn't seem to be any less or more heat from either model.
There is some metal on the lower cowl. Probably to protect the plastic from the header heat. The lower cowl vents are the same in all years.

I have ridden in sneakers in temp with no heat issues low on the leg. Where is feel the most heat is just above where a typical cycle boot comes to. Make no doubt about it my shin do feel heat and get quite hot. It is just not annoying as it once was. I do tuck my legs in closer than I used to. Maybe that has something to do with it and maybe not.

I do know that my bike is identical in heat generated to another bike whos rider rides in shorts and sandals. At the time I was a heat complainer. Identical in subjective terms and various objective measurements.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
I do know that my bike is identical in heat generated to another bike who?s rider rides in shorts and sandals. At the time I was a heat complainer. Identical in subjective terms and various objective measurements.
OK that is important information that seems to agree with the guys who say it is individually subjective then.

I will say this bike is cooler than my cruiser was by a good deal, that was air cooled and you didn't want to stop on a hot day.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
The subjective was easy. We switched back and forth between the bikes. We both wore shorts in the test to feel the heat as best we could. The objective measurements were using an IR surface thermometer at various points on the bike. When measuing the fairing you have to be quick if you do it after you stop since the lack of airflow causes the fairing surface to quickly heat up. In city stop and go the fans on our bikes turned on and off within 10 seconds of each other.

This was not a definitive test by any measure but it is a ton more than the typical internet speculation.

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Gotta be subjective..
The CX500 twin with full fairing was hot... a HD Duo-Glide was hot
when stopped in traffic or a stop light... The 1000CC Sportster was hot when
not moving (and all the above bikes were very warm WHEN moving) The
ST-1300... Not a problem... Not nearly as warm as the others either stopped
or moving...

Putt...

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
tccox said:
Wow, 90+degree heat today on the way home from work. 19 Miles, 50+ minutes and a lot of that in dead stop traffic. If I'd been on my old BMW (R1150RA) I'd have passed out, the ST is about as good a motorcycle as there is to ride in high heat conditions. And I've been riding for 35+ years.
and you southeast folk typically get the humidity treatment we here in the southwest do not get.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
NY gets so humid in the next two months, that you need a scuba tank to breath, and machetes to chop back the vicious growing mold. We'll see if I change my mind and cry heat then, but I doubt it very, very much as I've already seen above 90, though only half way towards humid.

I think your test is enough of a test to settle it in my mind Norman.

Top Bottom