Heated Grips - How long do it take?

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Finished putting in the Symtec heated grips today; a little too late to go for a ride. Turned the ignition on, cranked the heat troller - are we there yet ? are we there yet? I wasn't wearing gloves either so I'm wondering, how long does it take to feel the heat through gloves?

John-

Bike
ST1300
I bought heated gloves for just that reason, I ridden snowmobile,s that had heated grip,s and they take a while and just for that reason I bought gloves and jacket, but here in mich I will ride soon as the driveway dries up a bit and the weather is atleast 30 degrees

I installed the Symtec stick-on elements for under the grips.... and I feel heat thru the gloves in lessthan a minute if I'm standing still....... in fact they get too hot sometimes with thin gloves!!! Check your wiring!!!

OP
OP
Old Glory
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I installed the Symtec stick-on elements for under the grips.... and I feel heat thru the gloves in lessthan a minute if I'm standing still....... in fact they get too hot sometimes with thin gloves!!! Check your wiring!!!
Ah nuts! I put them on full just to see how long it would take and while I could tell it was warming up, barely, never really got hot - no gloves and grip puppies on the original grips.

Up tank, down tank, up tank, down tank.

John-

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Ah nuts! I put them on full just to see how long it would take and while I could tell it was warming up, barely, never really got hot - no gloves and grip puppies on the original grips.

John-
I feel yer pain. I installed the Symtec's too but they're not working. I'm just going to wait until some other time to fix when the tank and side cowl are off. I also have some Gerbing gloves so I'm not real worried about it.

Skip

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
JOHN - Did you keep the blue (low heat) and white(high heat) wires separate? The red wire is the ground. The low and high circuits are separate and mine usually heat up in a minute or two on high. That's through some pretty thick rubber grips.

OP
OP
Old Glory
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
JOHN - Did you keep the blue (low heat) and white(high heat) wires separate? The red wire is the ground. The low and high circuits are separate and mine usually heat up in a minute or two on high. That's through some pretty thick rubber grips.
I clipped the blue wires and they are not used. I connected the grip heater red wire to the troller blue wire, and the grip heater white wire to the troller white wire; the troller red wire to battery +12 (through a fuse box) and the troller black wire to ground. At least no magic smoke appeared. The troller blinked appropriately. I'll check the documentation tonight.

thanks,
John-

Byron

STOC #

John-
I could be mistaken but it's possible the grip puppies are acting as an insulator which might be why you're not feeling the heat.

Top Bottom