Gloves Held Rainstorm Gloves

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
If you need to call Held USA, talk to Harry, he's THE guy.

Here's my reply to your post in another thread - FYI:

The limitation isn't really the Gore-Tex, it's the materials it's coupled with which has been an issue since it hit the outdoor market over 3 decades ago. The most prolific example is leather hiking boots, if leather becomes saturated, it doesn't breath. If you waterproof leather with an oil based product (that is truly waterproof), it doesn't breath. Hence the significant development of water based, water resistant leather treatments which maintain breathabilityt that started appearing on the market about 25 years ago. Gloves are trickier in that none of the products that resist saturation well in leather will perform correctly on the grip side. They are not designed to withstand the constant contact, pressure and surface agitation that occurs there, and will actually cause the leather to retain moisture to a much greater degree, and far longer than it would have naturally. I use a breathable treatment in my non contact areas and leave the grip side raw on my Held warm 'n drys, and have not had the unfortunate experience you had. I hope that helps your next attempt, Held makes great stuff.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
An additional thought on this: Keen has successfully implemented a 'siliconization' process to the leather they use in boots that retains breathability and saturation resistance sans additional treatments. It works really well, as in you can throw your boots in a washing machine and it wont saturate the leather. I have put some hard miles on their boots, never treated them, and the leather continued to perform and not dry out. If the premium glove manufacturers were to do the same, they would likely deliver far better performance. It may not work with all leather. Maybe I'll give Harry a call.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
An additional thought on this: Keen has successfully implemented a 'siliconization' process to the leather they use in boots that retains breathability and saturation resistance sans additional treatments. It works really well, as in you can throw your boots in a washing machine and it wont saturate the leather. I have put some hard miles on their boots, never treated them, and the leather continued to perform and not dry out. If the premium glove manufacturers were to do the same, they would likely deliver far better performance. It may not work with all leather. Maybe I'll give Harry a call.
Harry has gone off to do his own thing, so I sent a note to Tom, the owner:

I had an interesting thought, spawned by a discussion being had by several sport-touring enthusiasts, regarding development of Gore-Tex based waterproof gloves. I've been in the outdoor industry for several decades - it's no secret that maintaining the performance of Gore-Tex when coupled with leather has some very real limitations. Keeping the balance of breathability while retarding saturation in leather motorcycle gloves is by far one of the trickiest applications to overcome. After coming to your defense in a conversation that was scrutinizing your product specifically, I had an idea that I believe is worth your consideration. Keen shoes uses a 'siliconization' process in the manufacturing of the leather for their boots. I've put a lot of hard miles on a few pairs of their boots in the last decade, and the leather holds up really well - retaining performance without becoming dry and weak sans additional treatment. I know all leathers are different, and this application might not work with some you use, but it strikes me as well worth the investigation as it would clearly put your products on the top of the heap if it could be integrated.

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Thanks for asking Harry. I'd be curious how he feels about the response I got from the phone rep who was surprised I even ride in the rain...people she knows stop to eat when it rains, she told me. I said that we must know different people. (See first post)

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
Thanks for asking Harry. I'd be curious how he feels about the response I got from the phone rep who was surprised I even ride in the rain...people she knows stop to eat when it rains, she told me. I said that we must know different people. (See first post)
Ya, saw that, I intend to let that roll out as the opportunity arises. Harry is history - off to bigger and better; my dialog is with Tom, he owns Held USA. Her remark to you is not consistent with their culture, do you remember her name?

I've also started a dialog with my contact at Klim. I know they apply some kind of treatment to their leather, should have more info in the next few days.

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I do not recall her name...not sure I ever got it? I called the NC office at the number listed on document that came with the gloves when they were returned to me. Whoever answered the phone sent me along to the woman I spoke to.

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
BTW, the Held Rainstorm gloves are not all leather...fair amount of textile.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I have had a pair of the pinnacle xpg for years that have kept me dry in 500+ miles of rain.

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Restaurant supply store, appropriately over sized rubber dish gloves. No they don't breath. They are 100% waterproof. I still have dexterity and you can keep those goofy lobster claws.
I'm with you Matt.

Still, I'm looking forward to feedback from Held.

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
My Gerbing heated gloves have kept my hAnds perfectly dry in several heavy downpours over many hours while making the 270 miles trip to or from Central NJto Americade in Lake George , NY. The only thing is to remember to have the gaulntlets under the jacket sleeves so water doesnt get in from that end. And the heat is nice to compensate from the gloves outet layer being wet. You do get the sensation of wet skin because the outer layer is wet, same is with my Gortex lined jacket, but the waterproof layer actually keeps you dry.

Top Bottom