Helmet Head Set

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
I hope this is the correct forum for this question. I wear a full-face HJC helmet and carry my phone in an upper pocket on my jacket. I can hear the phone ringing but there is no way I can stop, recover the phone, take off the helmet, and answer the phone in the time it rings. There must be a few people in this group who have found the best helmet headset and microphone for dealing with a blue tooth phone. May I please have some suggestions about this problem.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I use a SENA and you can either connect your phone through blue tooth directly to the SENA or in my case I go through my GPS as I want music too. It works great either way.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
:plus1: for Sena. A few models in different price ranges for whatever your budget allows. SMH10 and SMH20 now. I use the Sena SMH5FM. I BT connect directly to my phone (in my pocket or in the right saddlebag getting charged). I also have FM radio with this one or my bike audio system will BT directly to the Sena for music from my SD card plugged into a USB cable in the fairing pocket (BT audio connection is a factory feature on my bike). The Sena will also work to BT connect to GPS and/or music device (if you don't use GPS or your phone for music) as well as connect to other riders with BT helmet headsets, and they don't even need to have a Sena brand.

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
I hope this is the correct forum for this question. I wear a full-face HJC helmet and carry my phone in an upper pocket on my jacket. I can hear the phone ringing but there is no way I can stop, recover the phone, take off the helmet, and answer the phone in the time it rings. There must be a few people in this group who have found the best helmet headset and microphone for dealing with a blue tooth phone. May I please have some suggestions about this problem.
I recently got the Sena 20S and couldn't be more pleased...I use the bluetooth connection and so far its perfect....Had Scala units before and IMO the Sena is far superior...Bill

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
I recently got the Sena 20S. I absolutely love it and I'm no where close to using all of the features yet. I do BT to my iPhone and my Garmin Zumo 665. Works flawlessly. If you want music from your phone, I think the quality is decent. Keep in mind you will have road and wind noise that takes away from an audiophile level of quality. If you want to take it a step further, the 20S has a headphone jack on it that allows you to use ear buds of your choice instead of the included helmet speakers. Personally, I find it a little unnerving to block out SO much of the outside world. IMO.

It will allow you to BT to multiple devices at once. Keep in mind, only one will be quality stereo. I have to decide what I will listen to, my playlists on my phone or the XM in my Garmin, and set that device as the primary. Minor inconvenience.

Just my $.02 ... YMMV

Bike
2012 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I'm using the Sena SMH10R in a Bell RS-1 and in my wife's HJC CL17. It's tiny on the helmet and works great with my phone. I've had phone calls at highway speeds and the caller doesn't know I'm riding.

It will also bind with a GPS, music player, etc (tho' I can't comment on that....)

The volume is excellent, and I wear No-Noise earplugs.

We've used the intercom for over 4 hours straight with no issues.

The most recent Sena 10R model also has a "remote" that mounts on the handle bar.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
The wife and both wear ear plugs and have no issues with volume or outside noise. We have gone well over 10 hours in a day without a recharge. We have this model SMH10. I have taken many conference calls while riding and the party on the other end does not know I an on the bike.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Can you use earbuds instead of the speakers with the SMH10? My Autocom is slowly falling apart and I can't get any replacement parts for it. Also, can you plug a regular iPod into it for music?

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I don't think you can use ear buds. But there is an external plug for a MP3 or iPod. But that takes an RC jack.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
On the low end,,, I have been pretty happy with my Shark intercom bluetooth system. Seems to do everything I need it too do. Music, gps, phone, texts, intercom, through my smartphone. the handlebar controller is a bonus. We have been running 2 helmets for 3 seasons, and I am thinking about adding another. Current pricing is pretty good, at $69.us. I am sure the Sena' and such are superior, and they should be at that price difference. I can not comment on range,, as our use has been limited to just our own bikes,,, Cat'

http://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com/products/shark-shk4rider-4-rider-mototcycle-snowmobile-skiing-remote-communicator-talker-w-remote-control-intercom.html

Bike
2012 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Can you use earbuds instead of the speakers with the SMH10? My Autocom is slowly falling apart and I can't get any replacement parts for it. Also, can you plug a regular iPod into it for music?
The SMH10R has an available earphone adapter that replaces the speakers. I have one, but have never used it. You need to connect a music device via bluetooth. If you have an iPhone or Android or BlackBerry, it can function as the music player via bluetooth as well as being the phone, or you can use another device as well. The user manual has quite a few connection scenarios listed.

Top Bottom