Here's a NEW Thermostat/Cooling problem....

Right, I have had a decent search of the forum but can't see anyone having this one before.

Background is that I replaced the thermostat around 12/15 months ago and it was properly stuck. I had the old 2 bar 3 bar shuffle. I own a small dealership so it WAS done properly and with a mega thorough flush. The swap out cured it.

At the start of the first of cold weather last winter, the temp gauge started dancing around from 3 to 4 to 5 and even to 6 and back up and down again almost like it was a rev counter. Parking up for a while (and letting the engine act as heat sink?) see the display work fine for a while but it then starts the dance again. It works fine during the summer months with temperatures above say 12 degrees C. Only an issue in colder weather.

Investigations reveal:

Plenty of coolant.

Seems to warm up properly on the display until it gets to three bars.

Fan cuts in at around about the same time as it always did regardless of what the display says. The bike does NOT overheat.

Pulling in the clutch and freewheeling for maybe 5 seconds sees the display go to 3 as normal. Re-engaging the clutch sees it go barmy again after a few seconds. Oddly, this does reset NOT repeat while the bike is stationary and with motor running.

The changes in the display are so rapid that they surely cannot reflect the coolant temp as it cannot change that quickly! It is currently winking between 4 and 5 like a indicator tell tale bulb - with the bike stationary and the engine not running!

I have been reluctant to pull her all apart again as she is a working bike (I instruct) and time off the road is lost money.

I have just lived with the "running hot" display and convinced myself that it is all fine but my nerves are getting frayed..... It is not pleasant pressing on with the temp gauge screaming at you!

I suspect the ECT and/or a dodgy connection to it (vibration?) but just wanted to seek counsel here before facing the inevitable minimum 3 day strip/order parts/rebuild nightmare.

As I have been typing this I am wondering if the top end of the ECT's range has just become too sensitive - sending out a bigger signal than is normal??

I am pretty convinced now it's the ECT! Thinking out loud....

Any ideas from you chaps???

Whale

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Check the yellow ground bus behind the RH headlight. It collects all the instrument and switch grounds for devices and switches in the front of the bike.

Also check the condition of the ground wire to the thermostat housing. The failure seems connected with the clutch switch whose ground goes through the yellow bus. A wonky ground connection to the temperature sensor would fault to full hot on the gauge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
That's what I love about the Net - always someone with the knowledge to make things easy.

That sounds a very plausible explanation to my woes and it will be first on my agenda to check. Or on my technicians agenda to be precise.

Thank you - I am indebted and will report back.

Whale

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
As stated, check the wire harness, ground wire, thermostat ground, and then see if any critters (mice or rodents) have made a nest up under the Tupperware and chewed on the wires! .02
Igofar

OP
OP
Earth's are mucky but good. Wiring from the connector plug to the ECT is frayed at the loom side and intermittent short.

Will post some pics later - work continues....

Whale

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Wiring from the connector plug to the ECT is frayed at the loom side and intermittent short.
That'll do it. The ECT sensor is on a subharness along with the neutral and oil pressure switches that costs about $40 on this side of the pond. I'd be curious to know if yours was damaged by mice or from something else.

--Mark

OP
OP
Not damaged just got old and brittle from contsant heating and cooling by the looks.

Do you have a part number for the sub loom by any chance?

Whale

OP
OP
All sorted.

Here are some pics of the somewhat labour intensive fix...

You can see the insulation had come away from the wiring entering the plug and the rest of the pics show what our technician has done to remedy the problem.

The bike is now running at the required 3 bars.

Happy days.

Click for pictures album!

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
Earth's are mucky but good. Wiring from the connector plug to the ECT is frayed at the loom side and intermittent short.

Will post some pics later - work continues....

Whale
Sorry a little late to the thread..I had the exact issue at CT STOC in Sept.
Wires from the ECT sensor plug were VERY tight over the Altenator shield and had rubbed/worn over time.

Brian has a few pictures..

Top Bottom