HF/mojo issue...help!!

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Mounting a tire on my brothers rim....I have the HF changer and mojo lever. Old tire came off no problem...learned that there's no such thing as too much lubricant. Putting new tire on...got 'lower' bead on, working on top. Got the bead on half way around the tire. have clamp in place to keep bead from 'walking off' as I go around.

However, about 1/2 way around the tire, there is so much resistance that I can't even get the mojo lever between the bead and the rim. and if I do, I can't get any force to push the bead over the rim (the 'unmounted' area has pulled up over the rim about 1 1/2 inches). I've tried using a tire iron, but afraid of butchering the rim.

I have gone back and pushed the bead down into the center well as much as I can (but it keeps working its way back out to the rim).

What am I doing wrong?? FRUSTRATION MOUNTS!

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Try and get both beads in the drop center.....the first one that went on easy and the bead you are trying to install. I use small blocks of cedar wood 120 degrees apart on the bottom bead for some of the stiffer tires. And lots and lots of lube. Also, a warm tire installs much easier than a cold one.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Try and get both beads in the drop center.....the first one that went on easy and the bead you are trying to install. I use small blocks of cedar wood 120 degrees apart on the bottom bead for some of the stiffer tires. And lots and lots of lube. Also, a warm tire installs much easier than a cold one.
I ditto this. Lots of lube and blocks of wood.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
What kind of tire? I have the same setup and tires with a stiff sidewall can be tricky.

I just make sure that the bead is in the channel and have gotten them on. It helps heating the tire as best as you can. Hair dryer or carefully with a heatgun and lube as you mentioned.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I use small blocks of cedar wood 120 degrees apart on the bottom bead for some of the stiffer tires.
+1 That helps a lot the Bridgestone tires are pretty stiff.

Tire irons will work, just do a small section at time.

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
I have also successfully used large hand clamps to press the tire together to get both beads into the center of the rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I guess my issue is I'm not keeping the installed bead in the center well..I'm letting it walk out. The tire is a cheap Kenda. Last night, I kept in an upstairs bedroom on top of the heat register. Can verify that it was soft this morning (but not now!).

Gotta work a basketball game this evening, so will take up the chore again in the morning.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
The BS's are always hard.... But, your problem is the opposite bead not in the drop(hollow)area of the rim.. With the No-mar they have plastic clamps that keep the tire down.
When doing the Goldwing tire, I use about 6 blocks of wood, putting them in as I go around.... Or get a buddy to push the upper bead into the hollow Or clamps on the tires.

As stated, go slow, small bites and it will go on.

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
All the previous posts have been helpful, but this tire is kickinng my ***! Have attached photos....standard Honda 18" wheel. It appears to be fairly shallow in the well area First photo shows that the 'mounted' bed is not tight on the outside, rather, as far to the inside as it will go (I can place fingers between the bead and the rim.mounted bead.jpg Second photo shows the opposite side pulled up over the bead...I can't even get a tire iron to wedge it over (and yes, it is an 18" tire...same size that came off). HEEEEELLLPPPP!!!Upper bead.jpg

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
A tire iron will work, but don't put it in the center, put it near where the tire is actually in the rim, you should have 3 irons, you can put two side by side and once you turn one over, turn over the 2nd and pull out the 1st... by doing it inch at a time you are less likely to tear the lip.

Looking at the 1st pic, is the gap also for the bottom lip of the tire?

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
You can also try using some zip ties on the tire to help it on the rim. Place them around the tire and cinch the two beads together, then try and slip the tire on the rim. Is that a VTX wheel? I have heard that they are pretty tough to get a tire on anyway.

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
A tire iron will work, but don't put it in the center, put it near where the tire is actually in the rim, you should have 3 irons, you can put two side by side and once you turn one over, turn over the 2nd and pull out the 1st... by doing it inch at a time you are less likely to tear the lip.

Looking at the 1st pic, is the gap also for the bottom lip of the tire?
The gap I'm showing is the top. The bottom is actually sitting 'in' the well.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You need to get that top lip in the well as well...

Anything you can find to put between the lip and tire to help push it into the center will help... I have 1" pieces of wood that help but I've used some similar sized cabinet handles that where sitting around as well. Do you have a C Clamp that's big enough?

Getting that top lip in the center will give you that much more on the other side. You might still need to use tire irons.

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
You can also try using some zip ties on the tire to help it on the rim. Place them around the tire and cinch the two beads together, then try and slip the tire on the rim. Is that a VTX wheel? I have heard that they are pretty tough to get a tire on anyway.

I thought the VTX would be tough from what I had heard. I changed a 200mm Metzeler ME880 rear for a friend and it was easy.....really surprised me. I can sympathize with the OP since there is always that one tire, spark plug, etc. that is a ***** to install.

Flex Cuffs are the some of the toughest zip ties out there.....portable handcuffs and you can really crank them down.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/safariland-flex-cuff-restraints-white-10-pack-8210-1-10.html

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Success is mine!

Used two short Motion Pro Irons, a 14" incher from Harbor Freight and two 8" C-Clamps. Got that sucker on there. Then had a heck of a time getting the bead to seat, because a portion of it wanted to stay in the well. But remembered an old trick of taking two tie-downs and wrapping them around the circumference of the tire, pulling them extra tight and that did the trick. Thanks to all for the suggestions!

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Forgot to mention that, yes, I did change the valve stem and core and balanced the tire afterwards. The HF balancing stand is so easy to use.

Top Bottom