Hose Clamp Access

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Nice looking motorcycle, Rob - especially with the Corbin Smuggler trunk.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post - if you just have small drips (droplets), you might want to leave this project until the coming wintertime. It's not difficult to snug up the hose clamps, but it is time-consuming to do the disassembly of the plastic panels if you are not familiar with the process. It's not the kind of task you want to undertake in a hurry.

PS: I used to live in Sidney, BC - there was a guy that I worked with at Viking Air who had an identical looking ST 1300 - I wonder if you bought his?

Miichael

OP
OP
Rob20111
Bike
2004 ST1300
Yes, the inner lower and both middle cowls have to be removed. Anyone serious about doing their own work will have to overcome this reluctance.
I just had the right side and front middle and inners out the other day. It’s not intimidating just a pain to do frequently.
PS my last 2 bikes were an ST1100 and a GL1500, so I’m used to the plastics pain, (the Wing was the worst) but it still sucks.

OP
OP
Rob20111
Bike
2004 ST1300
Nice looking motorcycle, Rob - especially with the Corbin Smuggler trunk.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post - if you just have small drips (droplets), you might want to leave this project until the coming wintertime. It's not difficult to snug up the hose clamps, but it is time-consuming to do the disassembly of the plastic panels if you are not familiar with the process. It's not the kind of task you want to undertake in a hurry.

PS: I used to live in Sidney, BC - there was a guy that I worked with at Viking Air who had an identical looking ST 1300 - I wonder if you bought his?

Miichael
Mike, I bought from a guy in Brentwood Bay by the name of Rob M.
It’s an ex USA bike he said he bought from his brother in law. He never mentioned where he worked, but I suspected he was ex military.
Same guy?

OP
OP
Rob20111
Bike
2004 ST1300
Ok, the drip got considerably worse, so

I went in and found what appears to be a bad t-stat o-ring.
Got a new one on order.
The parts guy said there are 2 available for that year, depending on your vin number range.
He ordered then both and i'll bring him my VIN when they arrive and choose one.
They appeared to be the same dimension on the fiche.
I assume there was a part change mid production for 04.I hope my VIN is helpful as it's a US bike, and that data might not be available on Canadian Honda dealer.
network.Stay tuned
image1.jpegimage0.jpeg

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ok, the drip got considerably worse, so

I went in and found what appears to be a bad t-stat o-ring.
Got a new one on order.
The parts guy said there are 2 available for that year, depending on your vin number range.
He ordered then both and i'll bring him my VIN when they arrive and choose one.
They appeared to be the same dimension on the fiche.
I assume there was a part change mid production for 04.I hope my VIN is helpful as it's a US bike, and that data might not be available on Canadian Honda dealer.
network.Stay tuned
image1.jpegimage0.jpeg
As we discussed via PM, the parts should be interchangeable. Some OEM Honda seals and o-rings were made by a vendor named Arai and some by NOK. (in both cars and motorcycles) In this case Honda assigned distinctly different part numbers but the parts should be interchangeable as the parts fiche lists both and doesn't ask for VIN.

OP
OP
Rob20111
Bike
2004 ST1300
As we discussed via PM, the parts should be interchangeable. Some OEM Honda seals and o-rings were made by a vendor named Arai and some by NOK. (in both cars and motorcycles) In this case Honda assigned distinctly different part numbers but the parts should be interchangeable as the parts fiche lists both and doesn't ask for VIN.
The local Honda dealer was looking up the parts on the Canadian Honda fiche system, and it specified a vin range for each of the two parts. I thought that was weird.
I assume you looked it up on the US system? Perhaps there is some difference between the 2 networks?

Top Bottom