How to improve performance of Garmin Zumo 660 / 665 devices

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hello All:

I've just finished a month of riding around in Europe, using my Garmin Zumo 660 navigation device. I bought this gizmo back in 2011, and when it was new, it worked pretty well. It would calculate routes reasonably quickly, and more important, when I accidentally got off-route it would quickly recalculate and display directions showing me how to get back onto my route.

Over the years, the performance of my 660 has deteriorated - it takes longer to calculate a route, and at times it has been painfully slow to figure out how to get me back onto a route when I have made a wrong turn.

After putting up with this slow performance for a few weeks (made worse by the fact that I was riding in the UK, on a different side of the road than I am used to), I had had enough - I wasn't prepared to fork out the big money required to buy a newer device, but I couldn't live any longer with the slow performance of my 660. So, I did a wee bit of investigation, and found a way to optimize performance of my 8 year old device.

As those of us who own 660s know already, it is no longer possible to fit all of the maps for one continent (Canada and USA for the "Americas" version of the 660, all of Western, Central, and Eastern Europe for the "Atlantic" version of the device) into the internal memory of the 660. If we want to fit all the maps, we need to use a micro-SD card to expand memory capacity - in fact, the Garmin Express application prompts us to use a micro-SD card if we want to download all the available map regions.

There is, however, a significant penalty associated with storing maps on a micro-SD card. The 660 cannot read cartographic data off the SD card as quickly as it can read the same data from internal memory. If we want to get optimal performance from our 660 devices, we need to store our cartographic data (map data) within the built-in internal memory of the device, and leave the micro-SD slot empty.

In theory, this should be easy to do - just remove the micro-SD card (if we have one installed), and use Garmin Express to download the map region of our choice to the internal memory of the 660. But, there is an undocumented "gotcha!" that can prevent us from downloading the region we want to download to our device. This post will explain what the problem is, and how to overcome it.

Here's the story:

Cartography is stored on the 660 (both in internal memory and on a SD card, if one is used) with various filenames. The screenshot below illustrates the basic filenames for cartography, which are as follows:

'gmapsupp.img' is the terrain map that shows terrain contours and shading when we are zoomed out or operating in a 3D view.​
'gmapprom.img' is the map file for the region we have loaded. It doesn't matter what the region is, this "basic" map file will always be called gmapprom.img.​

There are also other files used for navigation display, such as junction view files, but for the purpose of this article, we don't need to consider them. There are only three files we need to be aware of: 'gmapsupp.img', 'gmapprom.img' and (explained further below) a file called 'gmapsupp.img' that might be present. If you have been using your 660 for a number of years, there is a high probability you have a 'gmapsupp.img' file in your internal memory. We also need to consider music files we might have stored in the internal memory, because they take up space that could be used for map files.

What we see when we look at the internal memory contents of our 660 when it is connected to our computer
Note that I have no music files or picture files stored in the internal memory of my device. This is deliberate.

If we go to 'Tools', then 'Settings', then 'Map' on the 660 itself, and press the 'MapInfo' rectangular button at the bottom of the screen, those two files mentioned above are shown with plain language names, in this case the Basic 3D map and 'Alps + DACH' which means the Alps region and Germany (D), Austria (A), and Switzerland (CH).

The same files as above, viewed on the 660 Map Info screen

The hidden problem - the 'Gotcha!' - happens if we have ever loaded (intentionally or unintentionally) a second set of map data into the internal memory of our 660. If a second set of map data is present, it will have the file name gmapsupp.img, and will be visible in both of the pictures shown above. When we look inside the 660 internal memory when it is connected to our computer (the first photo above), the 'gmapsupp.img' file will be present along with the other two map files. When we look at the map info on the device screen (the second photo above), the presence of an additional map will be confirmed if we have more than 2 maps (two check boxes) visible.

If you connect your 660 to your computer and start up Garmin Express, you will a series of images similar to those shown below. In my case, I had the UK and Ireland region of the European ('Atlantic') cartography installed, and I wanted to replace those maps with the Alps / Germany / Austria / Switzerland (Alps + DACH) region.

This is the first screen, showing what I presently have installed
The Garmin Express application never shows that the 3D map is present - this is to avoid confusing the user.

If I press the "Map Options" text hyperlink in the screen above, the following screen appears, giving me the option of changing the map region installed on the 660

If I press "Change Map", the following screen will appear. RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO LOAD THE WHOLE CONTINENT ON A SD CARD!

If you press "Choose a Region" in the screen shown above, and you are using a European (Atlantic) 660, you should see the menu of regions presented to you shown in the picture directly below. If you have a North American (Americas) 660, you will see a similar page, but it will likely list different regions of the USA & Canada (perhaps someone who has a North American 660 could post a picture showing the regions available on the Americas device).

But - if you have ever loaded a second map into the internal memory of your device (in other words, if a 'gmpapsupp.img' is present in your device), Garmin Express will take note of the size of the 'gmpapsupp.img' file, and refrain from showing you any individual regions that would not fit into whatever empty internal memory space is still available.

In other words, if you have a 'gmpapsupp.img' file on your device - or, if you see more than two check boxes visible when you go to 'Map Info' on your 660 screen - you might not be shown all of the available regions that can be downloaded. The same problem (suppression of some of the available regions from being displayed to you) may also happen if you have a huge amount of music stored in your internal memory, and that quantity of music is so large it does not leave enough empty space available to download some of the larger regional files.

This shows ALL of the regions available on the European 660.

I wanted to download the Alps, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland maps, so, I selected that region, as shown in the picture below.

It took about 20 minutes to download the file. I had previously downloaded the entire Western, Central, and Eastern Europe 2019.20 cartography to my computer, so, I did not bother checking the "Use map with Garmin BaseCamp" box in the image above. Checking that box downloads the map file to your computer's hard drive, as well as to the Garmin device, allowing you to plan routes on your computer without having the device connected to your computer.

This screen appears while the download is in progress

Finally, the download finished, and I had the region I wanted installed in the internal memory of my 660.

A review of key points:

1)
The older Garmin devices, such as the 660, will calculate and display a heck of a lot faster if they are reading from internal memory and not from a micro-SD card.

2) Be aware that simply having a micro-SD card installed in your device will cause a performance penalty.

3) If you have a 'second' set of maps on your device you will have a file on the device called 'gmapsupp.img', and this may prevent Garmin Express from displaying all of the available regions you could choose to download for your continent. Garmin Express will never remove or over-write a 'gmapsupp.img' file.

4) Remove the 'gmapsupp.img' from the internal memory of your 660 (if such a file is present) by using Windows Explorer before you run Garmin Express. Don't remove any other files, except that you can remove music files if you have a lot of them and want to free up internal memory space. If you want to be extra-cautious, instead of deleting the 'gmapsupp.img' file, cut it from the Garmin device and paste it onto your computer's desktop. You can throw it away later once you are sure everything is working.

5) If you want to keep a supplemental set of maps on your micro-SD chip, fine, load the supplemental set onto the chip, and then tape the chip to the back of the battery door and leave it there until you need it. I keep the entire continent loaded on my SD chip, but I never install this chip into the slot in the 660 unless I ride off the area that I have loaded in internal memory and absolutely need to use the (bigger) mapset I have loaded on the SD chip.

6) Be judicious and realistic about how much cartography you really need loaded on your device. There's no point in loading the entire continent's worth of maps onto a micro-SD card if you generally stay in one area of the continent - all that will do is make your older device (e.g. 660) run slowly. Far better to load just the region you normally ride in (or the region you plan to ride in, if you are doing a cross-country tour) into internal memory, leave the SD slot empty, and enjoy much faster route recalculations and screen re-drawing.

Regards,

Michael

Last edited:

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Interesting read. Have you done any experiments with different classes of SD cards? I wonder if using a fast UHS-II SDHC card would offer any performance increase over a more garden variety generic card (you'll pay for it, though - a fast Sony card is up around $80). Could be a moot point, though, depending on the bus speed of the GPS.

What's surprising to me is how little internal memory Garmin units ship with, given how incredibly cheap memory is these days. The costs of fitting extra memory can't be that cost prohibitive.

OP
OP
CYYJ

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Have you done any experiments with different classes of SD cards?
No. The speed rating (class) of SD card used will not make a difference - at least, not with any SD card you can purchase in a store today. It's analogous to putting premium grade gasoline in a Yugo, in hopes that it might go a little faster... it ain't gonna make any difference.

The 660 / 665 devices are now 9 years old. There are two bottlenecks in the device that prevent it from running lightning-fast:

1) It's got an old processor in it. The speed of the processor was sufficient back in 2010 / 2011 when the map files contained far fewer road attributes. Today, the processor is running flat-out to cope with the great increase (almost an order of magnitude) in invisible road attributes, as well as the increase in number of roads mapped. We can't do anything to mitigate this.

2) Like any computing device, data flows to the processor faster from internal memory than it does from external (micro-SD card) memory. If we keep this in mind, and load one specific region of the continent's cartography in to the internal memory, we give the device the optimal conditions for fast operation. If we go one step further and deliberately keep the micro-SD slot empty (or, alternatively, only load music or picture files on the micro-SD card, not additional cartographic files), we further lighten the load on the processor.

Because I tend to move around Europe a lot - sometimes fairly quickly (I did Belgium to Hungary in one day last week), I do keep a micro-SD card on hand with the whole continent loaded on it. But I don't leave this card in the slot of the 660, I leave it taped to the inside of the battery door and only insert it in the slot when I need it. If I move from one region to another, I just load the new region into the device the evening before.

Michael

Where I keep my SD card when I don't need to use it

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I am still using a Zumo 550. Over time it has become slower to recalculate than I remember it being when it was newer. Quite a few years ago when the map updates exceeded its internal memory I began loading the new updates to my computer only. I then use Garmin MapInstall to load only the maps of my immediate riding area (QC, ON and a few border states) in to the Zumo 550 internal memory.

Before I do this I delete all map data from the internal memory. After updating I only have a gmapprom.img file in the internal memory- no gmapsupp.img file. The rest of the maps of North America I load on to an 8 GB SD card which I have been leaving inserted in to the Zumo. On the map info page of the Zumo I only select the maps of my local riding area which are on the internal memory. I leave the rest of the North America map set that is on the SD card deselected believing (apparently out of ignorance) that not selecting this data on the SD card would cause the Zumo to ignore it and it would therefore have no impact on performance. I still find it slow to recalculate.

If I understood your post correctly what I am doing has no positive effect on the speed of the response of my Zumo 550 because the SD card is inserted even though the map set that is on it has not been selected on the Zumo. I am going to have to give removing the SD card a try and see if there is any performance gain.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have a Zumo 550 that I use frequently but its no longer used on my bike. And while I don't use it in long distance traveling I wanted to at least have the maps for the US states loaded. I don't remember where I first saw this process but it works for me and I have used it several times for map updates to the 550.

I am posting it here because of a previous post on updating maps on the 550 in this thread.

Here is how to update the maps on a Zumo 550 with lifetime maps. It requires an SD Card (I used an 8 gig card) and access to a computer with Garmin Express loaded and two USB connections so you can connect both the Zumo and the 8 gig card.

You connect the Zumo (I took the SD Card out of mine) and the 8 gig card (freshly formatted in FAT 32) to the computer and copy all the files from the Zumo's memory to the SD Card. In essence cloning the Zumo's internal memory.

You now eject your Zumo 550 from the computer, leaving the SD Card connected.

Once done, you can launch Garmin Express with the SD Card still installed and it will see it as your Zumo 550.

It will ask if you want to update maps (if new maps are available) and you just tell it to go ahead (well you actually have to use the mouse)

In about two or so hours, the new maps will be updated to the SD Card.

Now you have to do the following in the Garmin Folder on the SD Card

Rename the map files (in the Garmin Folder) from gmapprom.img, gmapprom.gma and gmapprom.unl to gmapsupp.img, gmapsupp,gma and gmapsupp.unl. You will need to do this after Express has finished installing the map on the SD. The map files must remain in the \Garmin folder on the SD card.

I then deleted all the other folders (except the Garmin Folder) from the SD Card, ejected the SD Card from my computer and put it into my Zumo 550.

Start your 550 and the maps will be downloaded or should I say, linked, to your device.

I just did this and now have the 2019.10 maps for North America on my device (lower 49). I am now going to go back to the SD Card and put the Audible and MP3 folders back on the card and re-load the music I had there.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
What version of firmware do you have @Andrew Shadow ?
I do not know John. I don't have my Zumo with me right now to check. I updated to the 2020.10 map version at the end of March. At that time there were no firmware updates listed as being available. Based on that I am assuming that it is up to date but I will check that to be sure.

I read on a Zumo forum that even though Garmin lists a 4 GB SD card as the maximum that it can handle it will work fine with up to an 8 GB card. I already had an 8 GB card so that is what I have been using. As soon as I get my hands on a 2 or 4 GB card I will switch it out to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for the tips.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I just did this and now have the 2019.10 maps for North America on my device (lower 49).
If by just did this you mean within the last few days you may want to go back to the Garmin site and run the update check again. I last updated my maps at the end of March and I have map version 2020.10. I would imagine all Zumo 550 devices would get the same update.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I just copied the post from a previous site where it was "archived". So no that was not just now. It was last year sometime. I might have to add the date of the post if I post the instructions again.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I always download the maps to my computer only as it is faster to download that way. I then use Garmin MapInstall to update the GPS internal memory and the SD card with the map sets that I want on each.
Is there some advantage to doing it the way that has been listed in post # 11 above?

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
What version of firmware do you have @Andrew Shadow ? The last was version 5. Support for maps larger than 2gb wasn't provided until v 4.9.

Before that i had seen that larger than 2gb was possible, but the maximum file size it could handle was limited to 2gb

2gb was the originally the max for an sd card - which is what it was when i bought my 550, but then they added support for SDHC cards without stating a max. Although i have seen a figure on the garmin site which quotes 4gb
I can't seem to get version 5. It says I'm up to date with 4.6 and NA 2020.10
Also it looks like on my 595, I can use a 64 GB card. Might be an option if I purchase the Garmin camera.241782241783

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
The approach listed is only needed for the 550, at least that was my findings. My 660 and my 665 update fine using the Garmin tools. I can add maps to the 660 directly using Garmin Express but I have to do it differently to add maps to the 665 for the lower 49 and to include some of the Canadian Providences.

Since, as previously noted, the 550 has a very limited internal memory, what the process defined in Post #11 does is to trick Garmin Express into thinking that its looking at the Zumo 550's internal memory for the map down load and then you are renaming the maps to the 550 will accept them for routing and view.

I was trying to find out where I found the information but I did not document it at the time so, I cann't give you the source which has more information. It might have been here but my search did not find a reference. I also looked at the new Zumo Forum and did not readily find it there either.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
what the process defined in Post #11 does is to trick Garmin Express into thinking that its looking at the Zumo 550's internal memory for the map down load and then you are renaming the maps to the 550 will accept them for routing and view.
The data is still being held on the SD card however. That would mean that the Zumo's processor is still reading back and forth off of the SD card and not the internal memory so I don't understand how that would speed anything up. I put my local riding area in the Zumo's internal memory and the rest of North America on the SD card. If I am not traveling the Zumo is only accessing and reading my local map-set off of the internal memory which should be faster than accessing the data on the SD card.

Having said that I may completely off base about all of this.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
It does nothing for the speed of the Zumo 550, it just allows me to load the complete lower 49 states (I think that is what it is called, working on memory) onto the device. Without this process, you are limited to sections of the lower 49 states. For me, it would mean that being in SC and staying in the general area would be ok but if I wanted to use the device in say Montana, I'd have to load those maps in place of the ones I had loaded. In therory, if the OP is correct, it is slower since the Zumo has to communicate with the SD card to get map information. I have not dnotice any issues to date with speed but.....

Having said all that, my Garmin 665 does have some issues with loading maps which, while not a big deal, does slow the map's display as I travel. I had thought it might be because I did use Garmin Express on my iMac to load some maps and there are times when the Mac system seems to operate differently than a Microsoft type PC.

It is not a problem with my Garmin 660 which is able to, it seems, load all the maps onto the main unit.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I always use Express now, it seems to work just fine these days, but my 550 and 660 units have long gone, so I don't know how well it works with those earlier units.
Garmin Express works perfectly fine with my Zumo 550. The reason I don't use it to update the maps on the Zumo is that I find it is faster and easier to download the new map-set to the computer only and then add the maps that I want on to the Zumo internal and external memory from the computer.

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
What version of firmware do you have @Andrew Shadow ? The last was version 5. Support for maps larger than 2gb wasn't provided until v 4.9.
I just confirmed that I have software version 5.00 and according to Garmin Express there are no software updates available.

I have noticed one strange thing that began happening after map-set update 2019.10. Even though I have the latest maps installed on the Zumo, Garmin Express will always tell me that there is a map update available. e.g. I updated to map-set 2020.10 and currently the Zumo shows that this is what is installed. However, Garmin Express still tells me that map update version 2020.10 is available. This has been the case with every update since map-set version 2019.10 was installed. I have no idea why this started happening or what impact it has. Even though this started happening three map updates ago the Zumo continues to work just fine- other than being slower to recalculate.

Top Bottom